Best Master Test Kit

Bullwynkle J Moose

I've got the Sera Master & API Master 5 in 1 as well as Aquasonic KH/GH test kit.

All the ones I've used are good. The reason for the 2 kits, one was a present.

Regards

Ahmed ;)

the problem with test kits is that they are only as accurate or inaccurate dependant on; A) brand and B) age.

That is what ever quality brand you buy it may not be accurate and how ever accurate it is it will deteriorate with age.

I was told many years ago that the test kits that come with multiple testing types per unit are not very/reliably accurate regardless of brand or cost.

Buy local (Aquasonic for example) as it at least hasn't spent six month floating to Oz and three months sitting on a wharf somewhere in a metal box in the sun.

The most used tests are pH, KH, ammonia (especially with a new tank) and nitrate.

While age is a big issue with test kits, 6 months + 3 months is a bit of an exaggeration.

Typically Europe to Australia is 4 - 5 weeks, and Asia to Australia is 2 - 4 weeks depending on port of origin.

And its only empty containers that sit at the docks stacked up, just like in the movies. Cargo containers are unloaded in less than 8 hours and shipped via truck in 1 - 3 days.

Its how long it sits on the shelf in the store that is the greatest worry.

That being said, I use Hagen and I make sure I replace the liquids every 12 months, and if I get an odd result I take it to my LFS for a double check. So far I have been lucky and haven't had any dud kits, or expired liquids.

Archived