scratchin cichs

jamie2548

Hey every one. MY cichlids have started scratchin them selves in the coral sand every now and then. water seem s all good although i just did a big water change. Should I just let them get on with it? Thanks

could be a number of reasons. some of my fish occaisionally do it for 'the fun of it' but i have found that if most of the fish in the tank are doing it, it is generally something that requires attention. could be low ph, ich, low temp or other parasite irritating the gills/ scales.

i generally add a little more salt than usual, ensure all parameters are ok and observe for the slightest change in the fish. could be nothing but better to be safe than sorry.

You would get this problem after doing big w/c's, especially if water isn't pre-conditioned. If they persist scratching you may need to treat, although ones observations can counter problems like this by increasing temp slightly, & if necessary adding salt if not already done so for salt content that has been lost during the w/c. Med's should be a last general recommendation, unless, one is sure there is a problem.

Regards

Ahmed ;)

You would get this problem after doing big w/c's, especially if water isn't pre-conditioned. If they persist scratching you may need to treat, although ones observations can counter problems like this by increasing temp slightly, & if necessary adding salt if not already done so for salt content that has been lost during the w/c. Med's should be a last general recommendation, unless, one is sure there is a problem.

Regards

Ahmed ;)

I dont use salts at all but I rose the temp a bit and they stopped within and hour!! wow thanks for everyones help.

Regards

Ahmed ;)

I dont use salts at all but I rose the temp a bit and they stopped within and hour!! wow thanks for everyones help.Maybe It was a little cool for them it was sitting on 23-24 now on 25-26

Archived