Drying time for silastic?

oz_gooner

Quick question. How long does Silastic have to dry before you can load a tank up with water? Do I have to wash it out and what with before the tank is put into service again? :dntknw:

Repair was to the bracing around the top of the tank only. No repair to the tank proper.

Rob

first question is are you using tank safe silastic? i think the tank safe one is neutral cure. not too sure. But best time is between 3-7 days curing time depending on position of cure and depth of cure. If its highly exposed and shallow then 3 days will suffice, if its sandwitch between sheets of glass and has a greater depth then 7 days will be needed. and yeah its better too rinse it out, but if thats not possible then get a bucket and wipe it over a few times with a clean cloth. :)

Yes it is safe for tanks. But there is no curing time or info on the tube. As said it is only the bracing around the top of the tank that also holds the lids. I think i'll give it untill next weekend until I put it into use.

Yes it is safe for tanks. But there is no curing time or info on the tube. As said it is only the bracing around the top of the tank that also holds the lids. I think i'll give it untill next weekend until I put it into use.

I waqs once told 2-3 mm per 24hours to dry. It will continue to get stronger well after that but.

if you can smell it ,it is still curing.

Aquarium safe silicon is acetic cure.

The tube I have here says the following:

"Sealant should skin within 8 minutes and cure at a rate of 1-2mm in 24 hours, depending on application."

As per what trofius said: "Sealant will release Acetic Acid vapor until fully cured" - so if you can smell it, it's not cured.

you need to make sure that you have acetic cure with no inhibitors in it. i generally allow a 3 day curing time when ive resealed tanks in the past. as said if you can still smell it, it aint done. remember to rinse well with fresh water.

Most silicones will be ok as long as they dont have mould inhibitors etc...

My 8 foot has been assembled using netral cure silicone, which releases MEK while drying so needs a well ventilated area.

Just needs 2 weeks to dry fully.

I got the tube from local tank maker so I know it's fine to use. I just find it odd there isn't any info on the tube. Used it last night and it sure does stink when going off. Just to be safe I will wait 7 days after I have finished.

Thanks for the help.

I got the tube from local tank maker so I know it's fine to use. I just find it odd there isn't any info on the tube. Used it last night and it sure does stink when going off. Just to be safe I will wait 7 days after I have finished.

Thanks for the help.

There is probably no information on it because of the source you acquired it from. That is, as a tank maker he will go through a LOT of silicon. You'll probably find he buys in bulk, and as a "professional", details on the tube will not be required so buying bulk from a provider of bulk silicon will cut their costs and not organise to have printing on every single tube.

As tropheus said;

I waqs once told 2-3 mm per 24hours to dry. It will continue to get stronger well after that but.

if you can smell it ,it is still curing.

I understand that after 24 hours it will dry at a rate of 1mm per day.

Err on the side of caution :)

Archived