how many demasoni in standard 4ft tank

wolvo23

Hi,

Thats fine as aggression will be dispersed, you would need adequate filteration however. I wouldn't add anything else, 25 dems in a 4 foot looks great as is. Also a bit of rockwork for excess males/brooding females...

Cheers

Grant

I agree. 25 sounds like a good number providing you can supply adequet caves and hidey holes for sub dominant males and brooding females. Make sure you have a large cannister or two on there. So either a eheim 2215 or go for a cheaper brand that does 1500LPH.

• 1 month later...

I have found that demasoni need to be kept in large numbers, or a crowded tank. Personal experience was 40 WC kept in a 4x2x2 led to constant fighting and zero spawning, as I gave up on them I put the remaining 20 or so in a 2x2x2 a few weeks later they started to spawn like rabbits, 2 years on they are still like rabbits! I have a friend who had a similar experience but he had them in an 8x2x2.

hey all Im from melbourne and demasoni are really hard to get but the more and more i read about them the more i want to try to hunt some down. Anyway just wondering I've got a spare standard 3fter with more than enough filtration however Im unsure of whether these fish will be too aggressive in a 3ft tank. I have been told that i could keep 12-15 with only 2-3males/10+females but am not 100% convinced. Just wondering on what anyone has to say and sorry for stealing your post :)

hey all Im from melbourne and demasoni are really hard to get but the more and more i read about them the more i want to try to hunt some down. Anyway just wondering I've got a spare standard 3fter with more than enough filtration however Im unsure of whether these fish will be too aggressive in a 3ft tank. I have been told that i could keep 12-15 with only 2-3males/10+females but am not 100% convinced. Just wondering on what anyone has to say and sorry for stealing your post :)

I'm currently keeping two (male and female) in a 3ft with some other african cichlids (total 9) of similar size and a bit bigger. The male is aggressive but seems to have found his little cave and doesn't harrass other fish much unless they stray into his territory (which is confined to one corner of the tank). They have spawned once so far, I've had them for about 2 months.

From memory you need three times the number of females to each male, but mine are fine at the moment, pleny of places to hide.

Archived