Tnag tank

thalion

I was wondering what else could go in here.

I have a 6ft x 18 x 18.

Currently have leptosma in there, was after something to take up the other areas in the tank. Was thinking calvus, maybe something else.

Any suggestions?

• 2 months later...

It would be much simpler to answer a question like this if you put forward a list of fish that you are interested in. Otherwise with the whole lake to make suggestions from, most people probably won't bother. You also need to let us know what you want out of the cyprichromis - that is, the more species you put in the less likely the young will be safe. If that's not an issue there will be more fish people can recomment but it still going to take a list of fish you're thinking of for others to make comments.

You should also post this question in the cichlid discussion pages.

I would look more at the julidochromis species to add a bit of contrast. These are step spawners and very rarely leave the bottom of the tank so would not harm the cyps in the mid to top levels. The other I would consider would be goby cichlids once again bottom dwellers and mouth brooders.

I would look more at the julidochromis species to add a bit of contrast. These are step spawners and very rarely leave the bottom of the tank so would not harm the cyps in the mid to top levels. The other I would consider would be goby cichlids once again bottom dwellers and mouth brooders.

You've got to take into the consideration the simple fact that the difference in niche depths a "surface" dwellers and "bottom" dwellers take up really don't hold fast when they are put into a the shallows of a fish tank.

That is, a cyprichromis will be found in our tanks anywhere in the water column regardless of where they hang about in the lake. And gobies will go to the surface.

That means if you mix cyps with either gobies or julis and there are young cyps freshly spat in the tank, will most likely be seen as food and will be accessible where ever they go in the tank - surface or bottom of the tank.

Nothing is guaranteed but in all likelihood the cyp young will not/may not survive if mixed with the species you mention.

Look at species such as nigripinnis which will leave their young alone and I guess will extend that protection to cyprichromis species too. Others can comment if this is so.

get some sandsifters, they take the bottom part of the tank, and are aboslutely amazing when it comes down to colour, or get some cyathopharynx.

thanks mark~

get some sandsifters, they take the bottom part of the tank, and are aboslutely amazing when it comes down to colour, or get some cyathopharynx.

thanks mark~

Have to agree, Xeno's, Callochromis or Cyatho's would do well in tank that size and they can mix well with cyps.

Archived