electric yellow with waste

scott_to4

hi everyone just need a little help. I had in my garage a tank with a breeding trio of e.yellow. The smallest female was always getting bullied and ripped and torn fins. She also appears to have a sunken belly and im not sure wether or not she has waste. she does appear to eat at feeding time but i think maybe not as much as the other 2 fish. Anyway after having her repeatedly picked on i decided to move her into my display 8x2x2 in the house.

My main question is this.....if she does have the disease 'waste' which i understand is common in yellows, can it spread to my healthy yellows in the display tank. Im concerned as i went to a lot of effort to get top quality yellows for my display tank and would hate to lose any of them. If i have to i wll remove the suspect yellow.

Thanks

Sounds like the sunken belly may very well be wasting, however if it doesnt start eating well in isolation the cause of prior bullying will be irrelevant meaning that it is most likely due to wasting. Regardless of good or bad yellows, the can develop this at both a young or old age and treating is extremely difficult in my opinion.

As for it spreading the truth is unknown as the official cause is not known of. The best would ideally be to separate it from the main tank altogether and try treating with various meds and food such as metronidazole and NLS thera A. Thats about all the advice I can give you. Good luck and all the best for your fish.

Cheers,

John

Sounds like the sunken belly may very well be wasting, however if it doesnt start eating well in isolation the cause of prior bullying will be irrelevant meaning that it is most likely due to wasting. Regardless of good or bad yellows, the can develop this at both a young or old age and treating is extremely difficult in my opinion.

As for it spreading the truth is unknown as the official cause is not known of. The best would ideally be to separate it from the main tank altogether and try treating with various meds and food such as metronidazole and NLS thera A. Thats about all the advice I can give you. Good luck and all the best for your fish.

Cheers,

John

I agree with you John other than I believe it can and will spread.

I agree with you John other than I believe it can and will spread.

Yeah I agree it can spread. I had a pretty healthy display tank until one started showing signs of sunken belly now I have a few that have it. I plan on doing a metro treatment to try and get rid of it, do a quick search of these forums a few people have successfully treated waste/sunken belly by doing metro baths.

I just glad none of my breeding stock have it

I had 8 of the best EY sources going around at the time in my colony until my fish suffered from wasting. I tried heaps of things in the end only metro worked over a long period of time. I ended up isolating the sick ones and treating the water and feeding soaking their food in Metro for 2-3 months. I lost half of them before I got the treatment right and even then I only saved 75% of them. My once magnificent colony was all but destroyed from wasting. Not to mention that it spread to my mainganos (they were in the same tank) and now I am left with 90%. It was always the holding girls who were hit hardest, I guess as you would expect. I am slowly rebuilding it again but alas most of the great colonies have disappeared or have been split up.

I am generally against stripping fish in general but now I strip after 1-2 weeks to save the EY and Maingano girls from losing to much condition. One thing that I always found strange was the the children were never effected maybe they had built up some form of resistance to the bacteria.

cheers

rosco

Ive had this too lyellows are really bad for it.

Lately I have been using the prestige foods and a few of my yellows have put condition back on. Dont know whether the food is doing i tor not but it does contain garlic which is quite good at relieveing intestinal parasites.

• 2 weeks later...

I have had this problem also and to treat individuals is a massive task when you have a large colony as i did.

I did have about 13 large girls that i lost they were in my breeding colony and it didnt seem to affect the males in adult stage or juve stages either.

I treated 2 fish without success so just isolated the colony to 1 tank and feed them normally to see a colony a once big colony waste away.

It was a big loss but found by adding different males into the colony i was getting top quality fry from the colony who were still breeding , and showing only minimal signs of the disease.

The problem i was having that after the females bred the disease seemed to kick in harder than ever its like their immune system cops a hit and bang its a hard road back for them.

Water changes were more freqent and i was feeding less but feeding 3-4 feeds a day instead of the 1 feed.

The colony died off slowly but i have built a new colony up from the fry and i am pretty impressed with them they are great looking fish.

The new colony are in a four foot tank with a few pieces of coral on a bare bottom tank which is a lot easier to keep clean and for breeding i think the best option as females will only pick up eggs and no "gravel "

There is no signs from the offspring that they have the dissease. :thumbup:

Archived