How to prepare zucchini for BN

tropifish

Just bought a common BN for my tropical tank, it's a he, about 5cm, 6cm. He's been doing a very good job cleaning up algae in my tank!!! :clap:thumbup: I have small drift wood in the tank, just in case he likes to munch on it, I feed him wafers as well, but other tank mates are enjoying it as well. Just wondering how do you prepare zucchini for him? do you boil it first? or just peel it and sink it down with a spoon or some sort...???

I also asked this question a few weeks ago and got some great replies from everyone.

What i find works for my BN is to only half peel the zucchini as they like to munch into the "meat" aswell as rasping away at the dark green peel.....this way they get the best of both worlds. I also just stick it straight into the tank without boiling, anchored down with a upside down fork, that way the pointy bits are turned downward, just to be safe. :thumb

:thumbup: Big thanks !!!! :thumb My other question is how much of zucchini is enough? i mean each time you put in...half a zucchini? or...one third of the whole zucchini?

I'll do half peel like you suggested. Nice !!! :8

always wash it first , chemicals from the suppermarket and god knows where else .,they spray on them !

then like they said put a fork in it , a quater is enough for two bristle nose too wipe out in 24hours , otherwise take out whats left , chuck out .

ha five cent pieces that a new one , gee hope there no gravel in that trank , or one day your going to be rich with five pieces ! ha

Thanks guys !!! :thumb Just got one third of the zucchini in the tank, half peeled, it's been...more than an hour now but my BN has not been touching it !! :( something wrong? or he doesn't like it??? i notice for the last couple of days he's been sticking right next to the heater, not sure if he moves around at night time, but whenever i see him, he is right next to the heater !! feeling cold?? the overall temp in the tank is around 24C.

Any ideas? :confused:

It may take him/her a while to get used to what it is you are offering. Keep trying and they'll eventually figure it out.

My tanks are running at around 26-27 degrees....mainly for my africans, but the bn's seem to like this temperature range.

If it still hasn't been touched by morning, remove it from the tank as it can get quite "rank". Give it a day and then put another piece in.

If you go another 24 hrs. without it being touched, wait for a few days before having another go....but keep trying, unless of course you give in and decide to just feed them algae wafers all the time.

Also remember that Zucchini should be used as a treat/supplement rather than their main food source. There are some really good algae wafers available which are a lot more nutritious than plain old Zucchini. :thumb

Had a check on the zucchini just now and NOOO.....my BN hasn't touched it at all !!! not a single bite !!! :cryblow: and he's still right next to the heater !!! i did try to move him a bit by tapping on the glass, just to make sure he wasn't "toasted" !!! :lol1: and he tried to get away from me !! so it's good....

Anyhow, will take your advise KIMO, to take it out and replace it with another piece in a day or so. I think I'll give it till the end of this week, if he doesn't like it...I'll just feed him with algae wafers like you suggested.

Hi

I do things a little bit different , I slice the zucchini into rings blanch/boil it in the microwave for 10 min or untill it sinks in the water it has been microwaved in , let it cool down and then drop into your tank as many slices that your catfish will eat , you can stick the rest in the fridge for next time.

Cats have always loved this way and seems to keep them breeding.

Ps my Jullis also love the treat.

Outbackdean

I slice the zucchini into rings blanch/boil it in the microwave for 10 min

10mins or 10seconds?

Even at 10seconds I'd be concerned about many of the nutrients/vitamins being lost - which is why I don't bother cooking mine, but like you I also slice mine into rings, but my BN/Peppermints are still only quite small.

tropifish if your BN has a favorite food, like sinking pellets, try pressing some of those into the zucchini so he gets the idea that the zucchini is food and not just some random thing you dropped in his tank.

You may like to try other vegies as well, I'd start with cucumber as sometimes mine seem to be a bit fussy and like one vegie or another - there is a full list of suggestions on Pleco fanatics.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions !!!! :clap

Wolfy, i don't really know if he has his favorite food, cuz i hardly see him eating !!! though he's been doing a good job cleaning up one of my internal corner filter, the top used to be covered with green algae, but now it's spotless !!! :thumb

I drop 1, 2 Spectrum Stable Wafers for him, physically right next to where he is, but he doesn't seem to be showing much interests...so most of the time the wafers ended up for other tank mates.

Grrrrr....will try to slice the zucchini into smaller rings and feed him that way tonight, finger cross !!!

Not sure if I should start a new post for this but my BN has...gone, disappeared overnight !!! he finally taken the zucchini but this morning, he's no where to be found !!! I lifted the deco i have in the tank, driftwood, checked under the filter...nothing !!!! :confused::dntknw: WHERE IS HE ????

I've looked outside the tank as well, on the floor....around the room just in case he decided to take a "swim" outside the tank and properly ended up gasping for air somewhere in the corner...but no trace of him !!!

This is really frustrating.....I doubt that my platies would ate him alive???!!!! :no:

Any one has any ideas???

Please !! HELP ME FIND MY BN !!!

They're experts at hiding and (as far as I knew) were not known for jumping out of tanks or hiding in the substrate.

I'd suggest looking under/around/in all the ornaments/wood/etc also it's quite possible he may hang onto them when you pull them out of the water, so be really careful if pulling things out looking for him.

Thanks Wolfy. Still no sign of him yet, will check everything as you suggested, i'm thinking even if i have to, will break one of the deco i have in there, as i'm suspecting he must be right inside as there's spots i just can't see through it....hmm...or should i just leave it?!!!

Some people don't see some of their fish for months on end, some catfish are notoriously good at hiding and can be very shy.

Having said that, you'll probably feel better when (if) you find that he's doing fine and just hiding on you, but other than that you could probably just leave him (and the other fish) alone and not stress them too much by pulling everything apart.

Have been away and this morning came back with my BN laying just outside the edge of the deco !!! how bizzard !!! just as you suggested Wolfy, i probably worried too much !! he's doing fine !!! though he is extremely shy !! now i have to leave my deco up side down as he thinks it's his home now. Anyway, it's good to know that he's in good shape. :clap

Thanks Wolfy - ur a champ !!! :thumb:raisehand:

Archived