Gold fish and BN

tropifish

I have a small 40L tank with 6 fantail gold fish, been having problems with brown algae and wondering if it'll be OK to put in a bristlenose so to rid of these algae. My other question is as it's a cold water tank, and there's no heater to control the temp, can BN tolerate cold temp, the coolest ever recorded for this tank is at approx 20C, another question is if gold fish get along with BN?

Any advises would be appreciated. :thumb

As long as the bristlenose are not too small they should be ok. Goldfish will eat just about anything that will fit in their mouth. :shock:

As for the temp. I've got some 3-3.5cm bristlenose in a tank atm with no heater and they are active and eating well. The temp on this tank is about 20 degrees also. It's the sudden drop or rise in temp. that causes major dramas. Having said that if the tank got any cooler I would be looking to put in a heater.

HTH

You still need a small piece of driftwood(part of BN diet) helps also protect them from being harrassed by the gold fish, as well as feeding Algae discs(best fed at night). Small heater wouldn't be a bad idea anyhow as it will help you control things.

Regards

Ahmed ;)

Thanks guys - will get a BN then. I have a small piece of driftwood so will throw it in as well. regards the heater, as the tank is the full package type with built in light and filter, i don't see anywhere to fit in a filter, and it will be too small for any filter can be fitted anyway...will see how it goes. Thanks !!! :clap:raisehand:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys !!! lost one fantail out of the 6 last weekend !!! :( I decided not to go with BN in my gold fish tank, i got one for my tropical tank instead !!! :)

yeah, i thought 40L tank is way too small anyway - i got it cuz my wife wanted them...though i've been the one who do all the work...(cleaning...water change...etc...) don't see she will let me upgrade to a bigger tank as I already have 3 tanks to look after !!

cheers

• 3 weeks later...

Archived