Looking slim....

Wrangers

Hi Guys,

I have a 6x2x2 stocked with 5 F. Rostratus, 4 N. Livingstonii and 3 C. Moorii which has been running for about 2 years.

Problem is, the C. Moorii have looked pretty slim for months and no matter how much variety and volume of food I feed, they just can't seem to maintain a healthy looking profile. They aren't bullied and always seem to eat plenty - and their waste seems normal.

I feed them once a day with varying foods including blood worms, mysis, brine shrimp, peas, and NLS Thera-A.

I'm not sure that this is wasting disease related, given they are still alive after months, and the Rostratus and Livingstonii look nice and well fed. Could it possibly be a worm infestation (despite other fish looking ok)? Any meds that could treat this?

Anyone have any suggestions :confused: ?

Andrew

Hi Guys,

I have a 6x2x2 stocked with 5 F. Rostratus, 4 N. Livingstonii and 3 C. Moorii which has been running for about 2 years.

Problem is, the C. Moorii have looked pretty slim for months and no matter how much variety and volume of food I feed, they just can't seem to maintain a healthy looking profile. They aren't bullied and always seem to eat plenty - and their waste seems normal.

I feed them once a day with varying foods including blood worms, mysis, brine shrimp, peas, and NLS Thera-A.

I'm not sure that this is wasting disease related, given they are still alive after months, and the Rostratus and Livingstonii look nice and well fed. Could it possibly be a worm infestation (despite other fish looking ok)? Any meds that could treat this?

Anyone have any suggestions :confused: ?

Andrew

Is it only the moorii that look thin? Do the other fish look "fatter"?

Sorry, but my initial thoughts would be to suggest feeding all fish at least twice a day.

Lets not forget that fish in nature feed all day.

I feed all my fish in the morning,afternoon when i get home, and once more at night.

I understand a few may think this may be too much,but i don't offer them handfuls of food.

Hope this helps.

Thanks guys for your thoughts. I think I might end up putting them in a tank by themselves, maybe add a few more to get a nice school (about 6 or so). They're at least as big as the others in the tank, but I've heard they can be timid.

I'll also start feeding them at least a couple smaller feeds throughout the day.

:thumb

Andrew

You may like to try some (larger sized) sinking algae wafers, that will let the fish browse on them over a period of time rather than a feeding fight/frenzy when you drop the food in.

If you suspect it could be some sort of internal/parasite problem you could try rubbing the zucchini slices with some garlic first, it may also help to stimulate their appetite.

If you can try feeding them 2 or even 3 times a day (just small amounts each time).

C morrii as citypanter says are a mild fish compared to the other 2 you have.

You can feed them twice a day but that will still mean the other 2 will get the most food.

Yep tank to themselves with some more added is your best.

Archived