Seeking Echinodorus spp. & Anubias spp...

OziOscar

Hello!

I'm looking for a good source of Anubias barteri v nana or Anubias congensis and Echinodorus bleheri (thin bladed Amazon sword) at a fair price. Most LFS seem to be descendants of Ned Kelly and have only 'not so good' specimens.

Also looking for Sagittaria spp. and Microsorium pteropus (yup - good ole Java Fern).

Does anyone have any experience with Moneywort? Not sure of its proper name. I've heard that it's another one that is commonly ignored by most fish.

Cheers - OziOscar.

Thanks for the tips guys...

Anywhere you know of where I can buy in person? I'm kind of old fashioned and not overly keen on buying without seeing...

You're right about Aquamail - their 'tank grown' range seems to be pretty well priced... How do they pack them to ensure survival?

Cheers - OziOscar.

Also looking for Sagittaria spp. and Microsorium pteropus (yup - good ole Java Fern).

Pity about the Microsorum, as I had a nice one going a week ago. I'm clearing out another tank soon (next few days if I have time), so may have some more if you want some; only medium size plants though (about 4cm).

Oscar,

Try Strictly Aquariums at Northmead - they have a good range of plants (including swords and Anubias) for a good price too!

Buy smaller swords as they will grow up fast anyway... I think they had a deal - two baby sword plants for $5. Look closely and you will see that there are different species mixed in there (I remember seeing radicans, marble queen, the common amazon sword) so maybe you will find a Bleheri in there.

There's always Auburn aquarium tho.. if you have a lot of cash :p

If Aquamails plants arrive buggered, send them back to them, at their cost, and they will refund, or send another lot to you.

You are right though, seeing the plants before purchase is better, but I found Aquamail had plants that just were not available at shops (least wise the shops I frequented).

Craig

Hi Guppy...

I've had some non-positive experiences with Strictly Aquariums stores (not saying which one, but had cause to send a letter that I hope made a difference), so am cautious... still - if you recommend it then shall take a look.

Cheers - OziOscar.

well if u want cheap plants that are great quality try wormborough plant farms, they are the wholesaler to some shops and from the pics there plants look great. but they wont sell to u for wholesale price its will be 150% of the wholesale price which is still very good, eg a super large amazon swrod with over 30leaves and spanning 30cm or so is only $8wholesale or $12 if u buy it. and if u happen to live close by u can come and a look.

i have enquire many times because im thinking of upgrading my planted tank and as the business is family owned the service thus far has been very freindly and helpful, they will even tell u which plants look best for the season..

HTH

try this wormborough plant farms

Hi Hieuc...

I checked out that site and it looks like they have the right stuff. :huh: I'm still allergic to mail order and the retail outlet they suggest is very good and nearby, but the prices there are a bit rich for my humble blood.

My Java Fern needs are well and truly settled thanks to PHL (THANK YOU POE!!!!) - got some awesome plants at the right price - lovely quality, good shapes and most excellent root systems. Definitely the best java I've ever seen in a collection and very close to what I have seen in streams in Malaysia.

I'm still looking for a good local source of Anubias spp. and now also looking for some quality twisted val - say ten pieces.

So... looking for hints before the Christmas break makes the good stocks dry up. :angry:

Cheers - OziOscar.

My Java Fern needs are well and truly settled thanks to PHL (THANK YOU POE!!!!) - got some awesome plants at the right price - lovely quality, good shapes and most excellent root systems. Definitely the best java I've ever seen in a collection and very close to what I have seen in streams in Malaysia.

I'm still looking for a good local source of Anubias spp. and now also looking for some quality twisted val - say ten pieces.

You're welcomed! They grow like weeds in my tanks; I started with two plants (about the size of the larget I sold you) 6 months ago, and you have my prunings (about 1/3 of what I currently have).

Which Vals are you looking for? Spiral or Corkscrew? You should have said you wanted Vals as well... Gave some to one of the LFS (Willoughby) as they were again overgrown...

Hi Poe

There's more than one LFS in Willoughby???? I only know the one near cnr Victoria and Penshurst that advertises in both local papers. ;) ^_^ Is there another??

Yes, I'm looking for some nice vals that will withstand a Malawi system. I hear corkscrew is the stuff, but I don't know which one is 'right' or which one works best (ie less prone to being a vege snack for hungry Yellows or Empresses. ;)) Still - what I read on Mongabay is contrary to what I read in other places about which val is the best for the harder water and higher pH needed for Africans. Your ideas and direction is most welcome.

Some of the stuff I have seen in LFS between Parramatta and home is pretty sad quality - poor foliage and depressingingly tiny root systems.

The only reason I didn't mention to you that I was looking for Vallisneria spp. was, well... umm... I didn't know what you were into and the offer on the BN (who is also doing very nicely in the community tank) and the Java was very, very exciting. ;) Maybe I should be more like my "businessman" self in my hobby. :D

If you get overgrowth of val in the next few months, let me know and I will gladly take the long walk to your office. :D

Cheers - OziOscar.

There's more than one LFS in Willoughby???? I only know the one near cnr Victoria and Penshurst that advertises in both local papers. :) ^_^ Is there another??

Yes, I'm looking for some nice vals that will withstand a Malawi system. I hear corkscrew is the stuff, but I don't know which one is 'right' or which one works best (ie less prone to being a vege snack for hungry Yellows or Empresses. :)) Still - what I read on

Some of the stuff I have seen in LFS between Parramatta and home is pretty sad quality - poor foliage and depressingingly tiny root systems.

If you get overgrowth of val in the next few months, let me know and I will gladly take the long walk to your office. :D

Yes, that's the one, but they are really not into plants. Sometimes the one in Mandarin has some nice plants (and fish).

I've found both corkscrew and spiral will withstand goldfish, so I assume they will hold up to Malawis as well...

WRT to plants, sometimes Lams have something interesting (and certainly have Windelov), and Strictly Aquariums corner of Marsden also sometimes have nice plants. Otherwise it's Manly Aquarium (which I rarely go to due to the distance).

Will let you know on the Vals; have just replanted three tanks, so it will be some time I suspect.

Hi Poe

Thanks for the hints. Sounds like I need to check out Lams too as it's near to work.

Cheers - OziOscar.

I have looked at just about all the LFS in Sydney regarding plants and I can say that Auburn and Manly are the only places to go other than online.

You may pay a bit more (alot) at Auburn and Manly than the online shops (WA and Port Macquarie) but it pays to see what you are getting. I bought a Nuphar Japonicum from one of the online sites and it cost $30 for a 2 inch plant ( it lasted about 3 weeks). The same plant at Auburn cost $80 (Manly $60) but they were fully grown (1.5ft) and extremely healthy where the online plant was struggling. On the other hand I have purchased stem and bunch plants from both online suppliers and they have thrived.

It all come down to what you want to pay. In regards to the more exotic and hard to come by plants I think it is better to buy from Auburn or Manly.

Regards,

Dave.

Sydney.

OK... Looks like I should be less sceptical about Manly. I've seen that place since the 1970s (ok- that should be a hint that they know something about their biz) but have always been horrified by the prices.

Going to go visit Mum on Sunday (North Manly), so will go check it out...

Cheers - OziOscar.

Archived