New Bio filter media? Better than matrix

fry_2_buy

Hi,

Has anyone heard about some new bio filter media thats suppose to be better than matrix? I went down to tarren point aquariums today and apparently in about 3-4 months they will be on sale for public sale. Anyone have any info on the stuff? Sorry Im not sure of the name, can't remember it at all :(

Cheers,

John

JBL Micromec is claimed by some to be better than Matrix, but the Seachem website disproves their surface area measurements. Could be what you're referring to, although this product has been available for at least a year now from my knowledge so it's probably not.

I use both products, no complaints with either - both wonderful.

I been looking for it for some time. Its bakki media or "bakki bacteria house media" if you look a few posts down i been asking around for it. I heard about a few months ago while searching for media.

Ive read some studies on the stuff and it seems to good to be true. Its used mainly in japanese koi ponds that require alot of bio filtration. If you go on youtube you can see it being used, search bakki shower systems. Its generally run in trophs that sit atop eachother with large air stones underneath to keep waste within the media itself. It never breaks down or needs to be replaced and barely needs any maintanence. But ive been told its very very expensive.

It has so many pluses its insane. There is a site that i was on the other night that had the studies done and it was really impressive. I have not found one seller or even one site that sells it here, also when i checked the ppl who made its website their listed contact for australia doesnt exist lol.

Im planning a big tank within the next 12 months and want this for media in my sump. my sump is going to be roughly 8x3x20"

If you find it let me know :)

Read this real quick http://www.makc.com/bakki.pdf

And this is the company that makes it. http://www.momotaro-koi.org/english/index.htm

Well for now I guess that is stuff, but for some reason I now keep thinking of the word "evolution" in the media name... who knows but that bakki looks awesome too.

If anyone goes to tarren point ask the guys to and see what they say then we can confirm what the stuff actually is.

I been looking for it for some time. Its bakki media or "bakki bacteria house media" if you look a few posts down i been asking around for it. I heard about a few months ago while searching for media.

Ive read some studies on the stuff and it seems to good to be true. Its used mainly in japanese koi ponds that require alot of bio filtration. If you go on youtube you can see it being used, search bakki shower systems. Its generally run in trophs that sit atop eachother with large air stones underneath to keep waste within the media itself. It never breaks down or needs to be replaced and barely needs any maintanence. But ive been told its very very expensive.

It has so many pluses its insane. There is a site that i was on the other night that had the studies done and it was really impressive. I have not found one seller or even one site that sells it here, also when i checked the ppl who made its website their listed contact for australia doesnt exist lol.

Im planning a big tank within the next 12 months and want this for media in my sump. my sump is going to be roughly 8x3x20"

If you find it let me know :)

Read this real quick http://www.makc.com/bakki.pdf

And this is the company that makes it. http://www.momotaro-koi.org/english/index.htm

I found a suppliers a few years ago. It was tewakoi. I didn't purchase because my conclusion is this media is best used in drip type filtration with plenty of O2. Therefore BAKKI SHOWER.

The tewakoi site has been down for some time and I don't have their numbers. It was around $300+ for 20lt if I remember correctly. Talk to koi people, they know this stuff.

HTH...

Yeah i tried to contact tewakoi. But as you said they are no longer running that site. Thanks for that info, i suppose the price should be about the same as the seachem stuff then as its about $220 for 20 litres. And if it was $300 a few years back hopefully its come down in price.

Well for now I guess that is stuff, but for some reason I now keep thinking of the word "evolution" in the media name... who knows but that bakki looks awesome too.

If anyone goes to tarren point ask the guys to and see what they say then we can confirm what the stuff actually is.

Why don't you just save yourself some brain cells and call the store up? :p

The new media is called 'Revolution' and is based on cell technology which basically allows water to pass through it more efficiently and hence allows the growth of aneorobic and aerobic bacteria which break down nitrates. It will be available from there in a few months. The order has been placed they are just awaiting arrival as it is an American product. It isn't a new product as they have had it before a few months ago.

I'm not 100% sure I got everything as a 30 second phone call doesn't allow for all the details to be written down but the guy was very helpful I just didn't get all the details.

I assume the Tarren Point aquarium is Majestic?

If so, just a fast post, not sure of spelling but the product is called "Cellpour". It is not a prodcuct new to the world just to Oz.

It will be available in a few variations but for me the most exciting version will be in solid slabs (of various sizes) which due to its size will facilitate denitrification. Just lay the slab in a sump and reduce your nitrates (as well as ammonia and nitrites).

There is NOTHING else on the market to the best of my knowledge that will be its equal for ease of reducing nitrates.

Thanks for the info Craig, after a bit of searching through various US sites I think the product it is actually spelt Cell Pore and is manufactured by NanoDynamics Inc, a link to a US site and Technical data sheet can be found:

ReefreshH2o

I hope this link helps.

Cheers

Ross

The new media is called 'Revolution' and is based on cell technology which basically allows water to pass through it more efficiently and hence allows the growth of aneorobic and aerobic bacteria which break down nitrates. It will be available from there in a few months. The order has been placed they are just awaiting arrival as it is an American product. It isn't a new product as they have had it before a few months ago.

I'm not 100% sure I got everything as a 30 second phone call doesn't allow for all the details to be written down but the guy was very helpful I just didn't get all the details.

As stated in my previous post - I called Majestic and enquired as to the specifics of the media and upon me saying a product better then matrix the man immediately said 'Revolution'. So I'm not sure whether 'Cellpour' is just another name for it or not but they did not mention that to me.

I assume the Tarren Point aquarium is Majestic?

If so, just a fast post, not sure of spelling but the product is called "Cellpour". It is not a prodcuct new to the world just to Oz.

It will be available in a few variations but for me the most exciting version will be in solid slabs (of various sizes) which due to its size will facilitate denitrification. Just lay the slab in a sump and reduce your nitrates (as well as ammonia and nitrites).

There is NOTHING else on the market to the best of my knowledge that will be its equal for ease of reducing nitrates.

Thanks for the info Craig, after a bit of searching through various US sites I think the product it is actually spelt Cell Pore and is manufactured by NanoDynamics Inc, a link to a US site and Technical data sheet can be found:

ReefreshH2o

I hope this link helps.

Cheers

Ross

Don't mean to be a downer :B but according to that website the material needed to be replaced every three months... according to when I was told about it, the stuff never needed to be replaced :blink (much like matrix in both appearence and traits).

Ross your correct, the retail name for that filter medium is ReefreshH20, I saw it ages ago at majestics, like craig, the slabs look very promising, from memory though, 1 slab was over $100!!

If you did see these slabs then it could not have possibly been what the guy was talking about :( as he definately said that it would not be available for another 3-4 months.

Obviously there is alot of confusion here. The 'original' product available at Majestic Aquariums which this thread was started about is called 'Revolution'. From what I gathered when I spoke to Majestic it is a product they have stocked before, but due to demand are getting some more. It is not a product restricted to Majestic. I have found out that this product will be available in an aquarium local to me and after calling some people I know it seems it is being imported by someone who is then distributing the product to aquariums.

Revolution is available in slabs much like the reefresH2o and is a brown colour. I'm interested in knowing whether they are the same products but have different names due to different suppliers as I have seen pictures of Revolution and it looks very much like reefresH2o. :confused:

EDIT - While typing up this post, I was going through the ReeFresH2o website and they have the product available as small spheres (similar to matrix), blocks and plates and cartridges.

Archived