Nothobranchius korthausae (yellow form)

enigma

I kept these for a while back when I had a fish room (10 years or so) and loved them. Extremely colorfull as your pics show and easy to keep. Never did get them to spawn though, any luck with yours? If I remember right they need the tank almost emptied and die after spawning but I'm happy to be corrected as I wouldnt want anyone getting the wrong info.

I kept these for a while back when I had a fish room (10 years or so) and loved them. Extremely colorfull as your pics show and easy to keep. Never did get them to spawn though, any luck with yours? If I remember right they need the tank almost emptied and die after spawning but I'm happy to be corrected as I wouldnt want anyone getting the wrong info.

it wasn"t my fish. i just photographed it. yes, killifish are easy to keep and hardy.

you need to provide a small jar/container with peat moss in it. they will spawn in that jar. dry the peat moss and store it for 2-3months.

Its a shame that most killifish have short lives and die after reproducing. If it wasn't for that they would be a much more popular fish.

that is just a myth :) it's true if you are talking about wild killi.

have you kept them before??? different story in a fish tank at home.

To say that they 'die after spawning' is more myth than not. It sounds like they breed once or twice then expire from the effort! Poor things :)

They do have a short life span, but they grow quickly and lay plenty of eggs. They can be spawning at 2 months old, and breed for a year or so, to put some rough averages on it.

Excellent photo! It really does them justice, and the guentheri behind too!

An advantage to, to their having A) short lives B) eggs stored dry/damp for a period of time, is that it can alow an otherwise full time 24/7 hobby into a seasonal one if desired. You can burn out a bit, put your fish (eggs) onto a shelf and walk away. Go on a holiday for a couple of months with no need to organise a sitter nor the worry that comes with that. Just a thought.

That's very true, some killi people organise their fish keeping like that, so that for periods of time they only have eggs, which are very low maintenance :)

If you have several species, it can be hard to time things, and most often people will have non-annuals as well as annuals, so being able to get a complete shut down is difficult. But even if it's just one species at a time that effectively goes dormant, it still helps.

Fish like these are available at the Sydney Killi Group meeting tmw night, to cross promote :)

Archived