Black yabbies

prosavage

Hi all,

I've seen pics of some of the more exotic Australian yabbies, some are black or even full white in colour. Sorry not sure about the scientific names

Does anyone know what I'm on about?? :dntknw: if so, more interestingly if anyone knows where to get them

cheers

I haven't seen any pure black yabbies before. I've seen very dark grey and browns but not black. Where did you see the pictures?

There are albino yabbies in Australia. A guy was selling them quite some time back to the highest bidder. Not sure where they went but if anyone has information please let me know.

I'm not currently aware of any lecuistic yabbies (No colour pigment so white but they have black eyes not red) in Australia but have seen some overseas keepers with examples of non albino pure white yabbies.

Blue marron's are the electric blue yabbies that you see 99% of the time. There are some blue cherux destructor (Spelling?) out there too. Apart from that there has not been too many people involved in producing different colours. Most examples you see are wildcaught accidentely.

I haven't seen any pure black yabbies before. I've seen very dark grey and browns but not black. Where did you see the pictures?

There are albino yabbies in Australia. A guy was selling them quite some time back to the highest bidder. Not sure where they went but if anyone has information please let me know.

I'm not currently aware of any lecuistic yabbies (No colour pigment so white but they have black eyes not red) in Australia but have seen some overseas keepers with examples of non albino pure white yabbies.

Blue marron's are the electric blue yabbies that you see 99% of the time. There are some blue cherux destructor (Spelling?) out there too. Apart from that there has not been too many people involved in producing different colours. Most examples you see are wildcaught accidentely.

is blue marron the same as red claw??

i think i might have get it confused with freshwater crayfish

here's a pic of a white one

IPB Image

and a black one

IPB Image

and this is a tasmanian black crayfish... now this is one mean looking crawler :shock:

IPB Image

anyone knows where to get baby crayfish ??? :lol4:

You'll find most Australian crayfish and yabbies are not available as no one keeps and breeds them.

Blue marron's are found in Western Australia. Red claws are only found in Eastern Australian states. I thought they were the same species until the other day. Apparently in Western Australia yabbies are referred to as marrons.

The white one looks like a shedded shell to me? The first black one appears to be a dark red claw.

I actually had some 'white' version of red claw yabbies before when I was overseas. I got it from a breeder who did selective breeding of paler looking blue yabbies, until he got some white-looking frys. But because it wasn't perfect yet, those 'white' frys turned to develop some light colour when they grew older

I found on petlink that an aquarium shop in Appin currently has some red and black colour yabbies. I called the shop and from their description I guess they look like this

IPB Image

I'd love to get some but too lazy to drive all the way down there :B

• 10 months later...

I actually had some 'white' version of red claw yabbies before when I was overseas. I got it from a breeder who did selective breeding of paler looking blue yabbies, until he got some white-looking frys. But because it wasn't perfect yet, those 'white' frys turned to develop some light colour when they grew older

I found on petlink that an aquarium shop in Appin currently has some red and black colour yabbies. I called the shop and from their description I guess they look like this

IPB Image

I'd love to get some but too lazy to drive all the way down there :B

we have heaps of crays in our creek.... my uncle has some real big mothers in his , ... last time i went up i took a net and held it in the rapids and lifted up the rocks and ended up with a bucket full... but let them go again.... i'm getting soft in my old age (30) , and also wasnt sure on the NSW laws.

Archived