eartheater tankmates.

mcsx

hey just wondering if anyone has any experience in keeping any smaller fish from south america, like tetra's and those sort of fish with geo's?, or will they simply just be slowly thinned out, or quickly thinned out.

just wanna add another dimension to the tank with fish that will take mid to upper tank space, that are also from south america.

thanks mark~

hey just wondering if anyone has any experience in keeping any smaller fish from south america, like tetra's and those sort of fish with geo's?, or will they simply just be slowly thinned out, or quickly thinned out.

just wanna add another dimension to the tank with fish that will take mid to upper tank space, that are also from south america.

thanks mark~

Hey Mark,

I'm currently keeping Lemon Tetra, Blackline Penguin Tetra, Golden Pencilfish and Otocinclus hoppei with my juvenile Orange Heads with no issue. Peter aka briztoon has kept them together without any issue with adult Araguaia Orange Heads.

To start with, Acarichthys heckelii are a definite no as they're quite predatory and I lost a few Rummynose while I had a 6" sub-dominant in my old community display before I realised what he was up to. I imagine G. altifrons/abalios would eventually pick them off of a night time as well, but it's hard to say. If you stick with the high-bodied Hyphessobrycon Tetra such as Bleeding Hearts, Rosey, Red Phantoms, etc. I think you'll have a pretty good chance.

It really depends on what kind of Eartheaters you're looking to keep them with. Smaller species like sp. "Orange Head", sp. "Pindare", maybe even steindachneri I'd say that pretty much anything will probably work, provided of course that you have a shoal of 4+ per Eartheater species to keep their attention focused on their own kind (I'm going out on a limb to presume this might potentially help the situation). Larger species, probably anything larger than brachybranchus, so altifrons variants, abalios, sp. "Rio Branco" I would say to stick with the large high bodied tetra and see what works out. Given the lack of predatory nature of Eartheaters, even if you do strike problems it might just be one off disappearances, or if worst comes to worst and they do start disappearing regularly, I can't imagine it being on a huge scale, and you can just shift them to another tank prior to selling them off or something.

'Geophagus' brasiliensis (and any Pearl Eartheater complex species as well I imagine) and Acarichthys heckelii would be my two definite negatives for keeping Tetra and other small species with, although I'm sure it's been done successfully in the past.

Cheers,

japes.

yeh im keeping rio branco, and altifrons so far, not exactly sure if ill ever have the heckeli doubt it, hard to find.

but yeh thanks for the info, im keen on just some smaller fish to give it another dimension.

thanks mark~

• 2 weeks later...

well i went out today and am taking the risk and got some black neon tetra, ive seen these guys with altifrons species on a video on youtube, + i like te look of them.

also a younger pair of my rio branco's has layed eggs. so hopefully i see some good come from them

cheers mark

• 2 months later...

well i went out today and am taking the risk and got some black neon tetra, ive seen these guys with altifrons species on a video on youtube, + i like te look of them.

also a younger pair of my rio branco's has layed eggs. so hopefully i see some good come from them

cheers mark

i lost 20 cardinal tetras to some juvie Rio Brancos a few years ago.... be careful

rule of thumb: if a fish will fitinside another fishes mouth it will brobably end up there.

i already bought some black neons and they dont get eaten the altifrons and others arnt even interested.

• 7 months later...

Archived