WEIRD BN death

novafishy

today, i found that my 6cm male BN died. sadsmiley02.gif

what puzzles me, is that it looks like all the fins are all stretched out and its spikes on the sides of the head are all exposed in an agressive position.

it is the ONLY BN in the tank. other tank mates include only ONE pair of angels. that is all.

there are no signs of injuries. the angels dont bother it at all. even when they spawn, they dont attack the BN.

what is the cause of this "out-stretched" fin death position? ohmy.gif

thanks!

It seems to be a natural occurrence after death for BN's - if you find them soon after they have died the body will look like this - a sort of "rigor mortis" or stiffening of the body. Unfortunately it doesn't explain how the fish died - could have been anything.

Cheers,

Jess

As Jess said, you often find dead Bristnose in this attitude. That dosen't help us determine the cause of death though.

Bristles can be a pain in the butt when trying diagnose illnesses. They don't swim a lot and their fins are down most of the time so it's hard to tell if they are sick or not.

I have found that the biggest killers of bristnose is medications. They are very sensative to some white spot cures, velvet cures, melafix etc..

Alan

a fair few of my bristlenoses have died, and i think it was due to oxygen deficiency and water movement in the tank, because they are generally at the bottom of the tank. If you ever look at aquarium stores, every tanks has alot of water movement, even though they keep larger amounts of fish in one tank, they still have a strong current in most tanks.

I think thats the secret to keeping most fish alive, since i tried experimenting with this idea, not 1 fish has died?

thanks for the replies guys!

alan, u said about BNs being sensitive to melafix. i thought melafix is an all-round all-purpose healing remedy that is suitable for most, infact all fish! biggrin.gif

so, assuming u are correct, would it true to say that peppermints will also be sensitive to melafix??

thanks alan, its a good thing that u mentioned about a "melafix free zone" around whiptails, as i have a pair of royal whiptails in with the peppermints.

what happens if i dose the tank with a bit of melafix? what does it to do whiptails? thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
You got it! You never learn from succes, only from failures.

Alan

There's wisdom in that statement!

Cheers

Richard

Archived