HELP WITH DISASTER

tootie

Have just mucked up- milked a fish, then put fry (which are still attached to egg sack in tea strainer with airbubbles underneath, then low and behold the damned strainer fell into the tank so now all the fry are in there (only good thing there are no other fry). During all of this I managed to knock over my glass lid for main tank.

I was going to try and catch them with net but thought best not to as would stress them. Have just left them there in the tank with sponge filter, airfilter with airstone and heater (at 26 degrees).

Are they all likely to die? Is there anything I should do to improve there chances?

Grateful for any advice.

Cheers,

Tootie.

i would leave them, they are too young any way and extremely fragile when still with egg sack, your chance of even touching them without killing them is minimal. let it go dont stress there will be more babies. if they are in with other fish they will be eaten, if not they have a very slim chance. Keep the water clean and dont try to feed them untill the egg sack is completely gone

i would leave them, they are too young any way and extremely fragile when still with egg sack, your chance of even touching them without killing them is minimal. let it go dont stress there will be more babies. if they are in with other fish they will be eaten, if not they have a very slim chance. Keep the water clean and dont try to feed them untill the egg sack is completely gone

Thanks Yippee.

i have had plenty of disasters with fry, there have always been more. yours will probably be fine, good luck

hi

if you did want to get them out without touching why not try a bit of airline & gently suck them up & then release them back into the holding container, tea strainer or fry saver tumbler etc.

mark

i have had plenty of disasters with fry, there have always been more. yours will probably be fine, good luck

hi

if you did want to get them out without touching why not try a bit of airline & gently suck them up & then release them back into the holding container, tea strainer or fry saver tumbler etc.

mark

Make sure the tubing is large enough. Big eggs may be too large to go inside airlne's ID.

No crass jokes folks, but I use a turkey baster to move smaller fry around, just go gentle. So far I have moved everything from young calvus to hypan fry this way with no obvious adverse affects.

No crass jokes folks, but I use a turkey baster to move smaller fry around, just go gentle. So far I have moved everything from young calvus to hypan fry this way with no obvious adverse affects.

The fry still have there egg sac attached and don't have any other fish in the nursery tank that they are in. So far they all seem to be alive. They seem to can swim a bit. Some are huddled together and some aren't. I'm wondering whether to leave them be - they have airstone in tank, air filter and heater. I probably could use a tube to suck them up. Never used a turkey baster but could give it a go. What do you think would be best to do - leave them or move them into a fry saver?

Thanks,

Tootie

Hi, it's happened to me all the time, if the fry can move a bit from one side to the other than they should be fine, if they are not strong enough to move themself than you are better to pick them up with a tea spoon, your fish should be ok (as you said), just leave them in there. Hope that helps.

Hi,

If there aren't any other fish in the tank that could eat them leave them alone and you will end up with healthy fry. ( as long as your water conditions are fine lol)

Thank you to everyone for there advice. I have left them there and so far (touch wood) they are quite happy.

Cheers,

Tootie

Archived