A campaign to adopt unwanted fish is being conducted in Singapore at the

Singapore International Fish Show.  Carol Lian, an organizer of the Show, is

attempting to spare unwanted fish from being flushed down the toilet. "Fish

have their lives, and they have feelings too. It would be more humane to

bring the fish up for adoption rather than flush down the toilet or fling

them into the drain." Organizers of the show expect to draw 80,000 people at

the show from across Asia. Fish owners can bring their unwanted fish to the

show for adoption at the four-day show.

What do you think about it? I wonder what these people would think about some of our culling policies used when breeding fish?

Still - I wish i was there! Massive fish show!

*dreaming*

Sounds like a good idea (adopting, not eating). There's actually a place at Rydelmere-Reds fish nursery- that adopts unwanted fish. Pitty places like that aren't advertised more, I only found out about this one because it was in the same street as i worked.

Cass.

Just on the topic of the toilet--->

Flushing fish down the toilet in my opinion is a very irresponsible thing to do. If you follow the idea presented in the film "finding nemo" where "all drains lead to the ocean" and thus freedom of the fish into the external environment, then the idea of disposing of your unwanted fish in this manner is exteremly unhelpful to the aquarium keeping hobby as environmentalists allready use problems associated with introduced exotic species and effects of exotic aquarium species on the Australian environment to bad mouth our hobby.

There are also some pretty serious disease ramifications asociated with introducing imported aquarium species into the native environment.

The truth behind the "all drains lead to the ocean" concept however, is obviously untrue as most fish would die (in a fairly horrible way) due to temperature and pH fluctuation, and exposure to harmful chemicals from chlorinated water and other chemicals that are disposed of via the sewer. (not to mention the poo)

IMO people should give unwanted fish back to their LFS for appropriate disposal, reslae or display purposes, or give them away to friends/family. It worst comes to worse - they should be euthanased and burried in the garden or put in the trash. Do not flush them down the loo, and please dont dump them into yoiur local creek/river/lake/other waterway. People who do things like that should be shot - no matter how much good they intended!

Anyway - food for thought.

There are some scary warnings on aquarium products about not eating fish treated with them.

But then again, frontosa, oscars, Cichla and many other species of cichlids that we all love and cherish are common food for natives and visitors in their homelands. ohmy.gif

Last time someone I know went there they had a HUGE red tail catfish, several pacu, and a whole bunch of other fish which had outgrown their owners.

My friend made an offer on some fish but was told they are not allowed to sell them (some can be sold some cant for whatever reason)

The conditions they were kept in were pretty cramped if I remember right, but it is better than having them "put-down" in perfect health just because they grew too big.

I dont think i could eat my pet. However i do recall a funny Simpsons episode where Homer eats his pet lobster - Mr pinchy! laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

it just doesn't seem reasonable to give away fish that you paid for and all the food it ate. however i think adoption is a great idea- on the receiving end, i'm willing to adopt any unwanted arrowanas out there.

how about keeping native fish that you can release.

hey i seen that episode - lets give mr pinchy a nice hot bath...

When i was in Singapore I was at a discus farm and i saw a bucket full of like 30 discus. I said "Where are those guys going?" and the owner goes "Later on today I am going to go and release them because they are below standard" ohmy.gif I was shocked. But i couldt exactly do anything about it.

Alistair

Archived