Heart breaker

Hoddz

Just thought i would share one of the worst things that have happened to me with my fish keeping sorry pictures are so graphic but just imagine how i feel. I Aquired these fish today. Colony of Mbamba with mouthfulls, 5x V Moori, 6x Blueberry Compacts, 5 x Afra Cobue. All gone lost the lot before they even got in my tank. Devistated.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Hoddz.

Hoddz

I don't know what I can say but if it had have been me I'd be very peed off too. I really hope you can try to work out what may have happened so it never occurs again.

I'm only guessing at possibilities here (and I know it doesn't help you now - but perhaps might be something to look at in the future to prevent it happening again):

• Overheating/underheating during transport
  • Reused fish bags or bucket or chemical residue
  • Really poor water quality in transit media (eg. ammonia buildup etc)
  • Physical trauma during transport
  • Anything else you might think have caused it?

It's something we could all use as a reminder - but I really am sorry it happened to you.

AAAAAHHH

that would be so annoying

If they had mouthfulls them they must have been in a good tank before (must be something with the water. prob no oxygen)

I don't float fish in bags if they are in a bucket. I just slowly add water from the tank then catch the fish and put them in the new tank without any of the old water.

I read somewhere someone uses an air hose to add water v slowly to a bucket to acclimatize the fish.

• 2 weeks later...

I read somewhere someone uses an air hose to add water v slowly to a bucket to acclimatize the fish.

yep I do that all the time, haven't lost a single fish doing it this way.

I have a 15 litre container with a lid on it and I have drilled a bunch of holes in the lid. These holes serve two purposes.

1. provide oxygen

2. I put one end of the airline in the tank they are going in and I start the syphon then I put the airline through one of the holes in the lid and let if slowly fill. If I forget about the container while it is filling, the container will overflow through the holes but wont allow the fish to jump out.

I was at an aquarium once and they were slowly filling a bucket using airline but they didn't have a lid and had forgot about it. When I alerted them to it they had 15 dead fish on the floor out of the 20 that were originally in the bucket.

I have a 15 litre container with a lid on it and I have drilled a bunch of holes in the lid. These holes serve two purposes.

1. provide oxygen

2. I put one end of the airline in the tank they are going in and I start the syphon then I put the airline through one of the holes in the lid and let if slowly fill. If I forget about the container while it is filling, the container will overflow through the holes but wont allow the fish to jump out.

I was at an aquarium once and they were slowly filling a bucket using airline but they didn't have a lid and had forgot about it. When I alerted them to it they had 15 dead fish on the floor out of the 20 that were originally in the bucket.

Maybe it was a post that you had placed that I had come across?

good idead any way

dude was the water in the bag white? and cloudy and smell like amonia..

well i had a even worse disaster. way worse..

my mate who is a total newbie, bought a standard 3 footer tank. after cycling etc, i gave him couple of electric yellows and hongi island.

after a year I came and visited him and saw a shocker.

this is no joke, my friends fish kept breeding and breeding... I caught 27 yellows i think and roughly 30 hongi (this is not even counting all the females holding and the tiny fry (which were all left in the tank as he ran out of fish food for a months and been giving them like rice and cornflakes etc!!!!!)

anyway i took all the fish home (they were fine in the bag), and left the bag in the tank to climatize (some in a bucket).

after about 5minutes I saw the fish in the bag started to excret white milky stuff and looked stressed. so I panicked and dumped the fish in the tank (which was empty) thinking maybe amonia spike in the bag (as he had no prime nothing!!!!

in goes the fish, as soon as it touched the water everyone of them started releasing the milky white stuff and within 5seconds everyone of the fish died!

weird thing is both my tank and his tanks ph was neutral. plus his fish were living in a tank full of craP (for about a year, he did no water change, filter clean etc)

ps yellows were the size of an electric blue. I could not believe my eyes when i saw how big they got in a tank full of craP! lol

mastercard moment..

-stealing your mates fish and lecturing them about animal cruelty... $10 (i drove so transport cost)

-50 full grown fish dye within 5 seconds... $500 ($10 full grown yellow/hongi x 50)

-calling your mate to say I am sorry.... priceless!

ps he wasn't mad, cause he knew i was trying to do the right thing...

1. provide oxygen

Maybe it was a post that you had placed that I had come across?

good idead any way

nah wasn't me I have never posted about doing that. The airline thing I saw a LFS doing it but the container with the lid I thought of myself

this is no joke, my friends fish kept breeding and breeding... I caught 27 yellows i think and roughly 30 hongi (this is not even counting all the females holding and the tiny fry (which were all left in the tank as he ran out of fish food for a months and been giving them like rice and cornflakes etc!!!!!)

I wonder how many wheat bix a cichlid could do :lol1:

Archived