WHats the best cichlid food beside NLS

fongyfong

Try HBH African Cichlid "Attack" sinking pellets. Large pellets and my bigger Africans love it, although i still mix it up with NLS.....

You see the difference in how the fish smash the NLS compared to any other food I give them.

I also try and feed frozen brine shrimp. you can include this into there diet maybe a couple times a week along with the nls.

Alot of people also add spirulina to there fishes diet. I have heard that this can also enhance the colour of the fish.

John

I feed all of mine NLS but also supplement it with regular feeds of bloodworms, brine shrimp and algae discs. I usually throw the discs in before heading to bed to give the larger cats some decent food but the cichlids go for them so I end up throwing quite a bit in - always gone by morning.

• 2 months later...

i noticed with my fish and my observation, NLS didn't do much to induce my fish's appetite.

colours wise I don't know as I always thought all my fish are colourful :) lol

I found that overall the cheapest and the most effective dry food is the hikari algae wafer.

I regularly see all my fish lining up to take a peck at the large algae wafers :)

i noticed with my fish and my observation, NLS didn't do much to incude my fish's appetite.

colours wise I don't know as I always thought all my fish are colourful :) lol

I found that overall the cheapest and the most effective dry food is the hikari algae wafer.

I regularly see all my fish lining up to take a peck at the large algae wafers :)

I have to agree too. No effect on my fish either.

They do love colourbits though.

I mainly have a lot of clown loaches, and other fish, and a Jardini.. Even the jardini goes for the colourbits!!!

I use a good mix of NLS, Sera, Hikari algae wafers, frozen and live foods all depends on the fish as to what i feed.

Now and then i use the HBH cichlid pellets as well

All the foods mentioned so far are of reasonable to good quality foods, there are some brands i wouldnt touch too many inconcistancies in the manufacturing as to what might be in the recipe :B

Stick with the better known brands and you cant really go wrong IMO

While we are on the topic of fish foods

I have posted in the tangent a question on banned preservatives and its been mention that NLS has them

Can you guys check what you are feeding to see if ethoxyquin is listed in those foods as well

Also could you read my post and let me know if you think its things we should be worried about

Cheers

Craig

I feed my fish OSI cichlid flake, OSI Growth flake to fry, HBH Veggie flake (for my trophs and occasionally as a treat for other fish), 1mm thera-a NLS, New Life Spectrum, (although I am weening them off that it is hard to consistently get and not very effective IMHO), freeze dried decapsulated brine shrimp eggs for little tang fry, freeze dried brine shrimp and I hatch BBS for tangs aw well. I think that it is it, I am sure that it used to be easier to feed my fish :lol3:

cheers

Rosco

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Other than NLS, I feed Hikari Cichlid Gold Sinking, Hikari Excel and Hikari Micro Pellets (These are fantastic for Tetra) to my Eartheaters, as well as handful of different types of their frozen products.

Also feed Tetra Colorbits as a little additive to their normal diet to bring out reds.

i have africans,natives,catfish and fighters and i have 11 types of foods i rotate.these are:

sera granugreen,nls cichlid,nls finicky,nutrafin trop flake(which all my fish absolutely love more than nls),nutrafin earthworm flake,wardley spirulina flake and discs,hikari wafers,frozen daphnia,frozen brine,frozen mysis shrimp,and a food called ap-3 which is very good also.its a very concentrated pellet which comes in 3 sizes ap-1,ap-2 and ap-3.no english whatsoever on the bottle/packs but fish love it,a little high in protein to feed to africans although once a week or so is fine.a lfs called"slippery little suckers" at kingsford stocks it.

I use sera flora and like it. I love Nls too bu tthe problem is the wholesaler here in Qld won't sell to breeders even if they are a registered business like mine. Where I can get Sera flora at wholesale.

I use sera flora and like it. I love Nls too bu tthe problem is the wholesaler here in Qld won't sell to breeders even if they are a registered business like mine. Where I can get Sera flora at wholesale.

Try PRESTIGE fish foods

I did and never will again, it clouded the water very badly and was ignored by most of my fish.

Normally I will support Aussie products but until I hear of huge changes in this one I am sticking to my nls, HBH and omega with a dash of tetra colourbits here and there :yes:

Find another states wholesaler and ask if they will ship to you :thumbup: Ones ignorance could be anothers gain

I have been using the prestige food for 12weeks now and have nothing but praise for the product. If you are feeding a 3mm NLS then the Prestige needs a little bit of work, (which I have been informed is being rectified) as I have found it to be a little bit to hard, though if left it does not cloud the water and the fish eat it once the product has had time to soften. If you feed 1mm or smaller then you should not have a problem with fish taking the product and I have had extremely good results using this product to combat the sunken gut, which has been a problem lately and i know of many customers who have had the same results using this product.

I do not think that all the range has been released yet, but the ones I have used as I have said I have been pleased with apart from the hardness of the 3mm range. This coming from someone who has used nothing but NLS products for 4years.

Archived