desert gobies

enigma

I hope you're getting progressive pictures ;) ...............

unfortunately i did not. i had no idea they were breeding. saw the eggs few days later.

Great Pics :clap

I am little confused. From looking at my fish I thought that the egg becomes the fish rather than like in you photos the fish forms inside the egg.

Can anyone enlighten me?

i'm with you about this but i'm sure that the fish forms inside the egg :dntknw:

anyway here's a couple more pics

01/09/08

IPB Image

IPB Image

WOW some seriously great photos there but I dispair when I look at the seriously expensive price tags on your gear.

For aquarium only photography, would you recommend a zoom lens over macro to get an image large enough? There are times it is hard to get close without scaring the fish. Also there are many situations where a flash isn't possible. Largest F stop? Anything below 2.8 is getting pricy. I was considering the Tamron 90mm f2.8 macro or a Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4.5 DC Macro but wish I hadn't seen your photos now..... I realise different people have different considerations but I would appreciate any fish photographers personal inputs.

Thanks in anticipation.

Do you have a pic of the parents?

Are these aust fish?

Do you keep them with cichlids?

Is it true they only live for a year?

no, i don't have any pic of the parent. they are aust and do well in the community fish tank.

there's an article about this little fish plus a couple pics in the AAM issue 5 ;)

awesome pics Budi

ive kept desert gobies, they are great jumpers though one tiny gap and they jump

hi Sarah.

well i know where to look for next time if i couldn't see them in the tank as i have a hang on filter :lol2:

WOW some seriously great photos there but I dispair when I look at the seriously expensive price tags on your gear.

For aquarium only photography, would you recommend a zoom lens over macro to get an image large enough? There are times it is hard to get close without scaring the fish. Also there are many situations where a flash isn't possible. Largest F stop? Anything below 2.8 is getting pricy. I was considering the Tamron 90mm f2.8 macro or a Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4.5 DC Macro but wish I hadn't seen your photos now..... I realise different people have different considerations but I would appreciate any fish photographers personal inputs.

Thanks in anticipation.

IMO i wouldn't recommend a zoom lens over macro for aquarium photography. i have used 100-300mm and 17-85mm few times but the quality was not the same. i only put 17-85mm lens on when i go out.

just remember fish live in the water. Glass and water will impair the quality. i would use the best lens i could get.

i reckon you have to try and compare them. if you could live with the quality from a zoom lens then problem is solved. otherwise get every macro lens like what i did. i don't want to know how much i have spent so far :dntknw:

There are times it is hard to get close without scaring the fish.

i know what you are saying. i guess the patience and good timing come to play.

• 2 weeks later...

Those are fantastic shots, they look like something in a space capsule, waiting for orders, lol.

Chlamydogobius eremius (Desert Gobies) are definitely one of my favourites. I had one and called him Guts. He would perch himself on top of the internal filter at feeding time and truly lived up to his name. Even with a bulging belly, he would continue to demand food and I was worried he would meet his doom from being Jabba and yet not being Jabba. Alas, the tank became infested with "Ich" and although all the other denizen of the tank was successfully cured, the goby would persistently show white spots on its body and it finally succumbed to the disease.

A great little fish, colourful and bursting with personality.

Cheers,

Vien.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived