6X2.5 *5-5 update Discus pics*

Nornicle

My Tank

Before

user posted image

with goldfish blink.gif in it...

Extreme Makeover

user posted image

The tank is freshly planted and needs time to grow(exposure is too high on the first photo)

user posted image

The back left is still needing to be planted out (waiting for the right plants and $)

Details

Plants (from front right to back left, crypts first)

Cryptocoryne walkeri

Cryptocoryne becketii

Cryptocoryne balansae

Cryptocoryne wendtii 'mi oya'

Cryptocoryne lucens (sold as this but is actually C. willisii X 'lucens' a naturally occuring 'hybrid' plant according to Tropica, although I doubt that the plant I have is the true C. willisi X 'lucens'...)

Echinodorus sp. 'chain sword'

Vallisneria americana 'gigantae'

Vallisneria americana 'natans'

Ceratopteris thalictroides

Hygrophila polysperma

Bolbitis heudelotii

Jungle fern (not sure if its Microsorium or not)

Microsorium pteroptus 'windelov'

Echinodorus'rose' (E. horemanii ''rot'' X E. horizontalis according to Tropica)

Echinodorus 'red rubin' (E. horemanii ''rot'' X Echinodorus barthii according to Tropica)

Microsorium pteroptus

Vesicularia dubyana (although who knows what it REALLY is..)

Fish:

6 x Apistogramma agassizi 'red' tail although god knows where they are now.. I can only ever spot 2 or 3 at a time.

1 X Ancistrus hoplogenys Peppermint bristlenose (I was going to remove him for fear of chomping on my plants.. but for now he can stay - truly a fantastic looking fish)

7 X Congo tetras (I killed 5.... don't ask... unsure.gif )

1 X guppy (again.. don't ask rolleyes.gif )

Technical

Filter : Eheim 2217 (will be packed full of filter wool + carbon to draw tannins out of water) + 2215 (packed with filter wool and coral sand, will act as a reactor for co2)

Tank Size : 6x2.5x2.5

Lighting : 4 x Arcadia Marine White, 4 X Arcadia Tropical (2 of each in 4ft and 2ft)

Fertilisation : Tetra Hilena Initial Tabs, 'Crypto' Tabs, JBL 'The 7 Balls,' Terralit base, Seachem Flourish and Iron.

The Future:

Plants:

I want Crinum natans growing up and in the left side ( hiding the equipment and providing some shade). I want C. willisi mixed into the fore ground... and possibly grow some more wendtii.. but I will have to watch the evolution of the tank, esp the swords... (note that even in a tank this big, i've only planted TWO swords!!!)

If I had all the plants in the world, I would replace the jungle fern (in my opinion it is of only so so aesthetic value) and replace it with narrow leaf java fern. I would replace all java moss with 'micro' moss and grow christmas moss on the same log as the jungle fern.

Fish:

I'm considering earth eaters blink.gif although im not sure of the intelligence of that..... I'll be giving a couple of small fish a go in the tank I think and see what they do, a pair of adult altifrons would really look nice!

Otherwise a pair of discus and some schooling fish... definitely a school of C. brochis . What I would eventually REALLY like.. although I bet I kill them through my sheer incompetence and clumsiness is the Peruvian Altum (any one seen them for cheap... im a dreamer...)... thumbsupsmileyanim.gif I have some panda cories I'm considering letting loose in the tank, but I am afraid they will not get enough food and starve... the fragile little basta.. i mean.. critters.

Technical:

Never fear, DIY pressurised Co2 is on the way. tongue.gif I want to add fans to cool the lights, and maybe use power compacts, overdriven normal output lights or metal halides. Another future upgrade is adding another eheim 2217... or selling them all and upgrading to a Eheim 2260 (the cost is the prohibitive part! at least $700 just for the filter ALONE i.e no media)

Stay tuned for more developments!

If you would like more details on how I got everything together from empty tank to planted, I have a journal of the tank on plantedtank.net, you will however have to be a member to view this journal link (it costs the webmaster bandwidth and is image intensive so broadband only) - My Tank Journal

Richard, I think u're thinking of the "Orinoco" Altums. wink.gif Peruvian altums (P.scalare "Peruvian") are not true altums... and the Peruvians ARE available occasionally. I had a breeding pair of Peruvians at one point. Sold the pair to a couple of Japanese guys. huh.gif

At the risk of now driving you broke and into another direction... here's a good Angelfish site for you to drool over.

http://www.finarama.com/tba/

We'll need another picture in say 2weeks time when the chain-swords are more established and the other plants fill the space out. :

nice nice.

I'd be interested in seeing how the E. tenellus go; I'd like some for my tank, seeing that the Loaches have just about done the Lileopsis in. BTW, where di you buy them from?

it's not e. tenellus (narrow leaf) I used to have it and there aren't many places you can get it. People sell e. tenellus but its actually a much wider leaf than the true E. tenellus which is very dark leafed + very thin leaf..no more than 3mm wide (and is used by Amano alot)

The E. tenellus I see in Sydney alot is actually more similar to dwarf sag, but I don't know the scientific name...

Lilaeopsis is a great plant, very strange though when I grew it, it only ever flourised UNDER the shade of the sword's leaves... and grew VERY slowly..

Nice work Nornicle. Coming along nicely. The subrate has a nice colour to it.

The Eheims are pretty expensive in Aust. However, I am going to Singapore in two weeks time and will be coming back with an Eheim 2260 for about A$380. They come without media, so instead of ehfisubtrate, I will probably be using scoria, which are like small lava rocks. Cost next to nothing, and has good surface area. Another alternative is Kongs aqua one (chinese version) of ehfisubrate which I can get for $40 for 25kg's.

Lilaeopsis is a great plant, very strange though when I grew it, it only ever flourised UNDER the shade of the sword's leaves... and grew VERY slowly..

That's interesting, because that's completely the opposite of how Lilaeopsis should be doing, as it is supposedly higher light than the E. tenellus. Perhaps that's why it is slow growing.

I thought the "balance" in the tank was great, and wouldn't add further plants to the back left corner of the tank as you suggested. Once the tank grows in, a clear space will be good.

I wouldn't put the earth eaters in, gravel sifters, and plant tanks don't mix.

Good job.

Craig

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A planted tank is never fisnished! I've just done some hard pruning (after some time of not doing anything) on one of mine (my display planted tank), and will take a closer look at it again in a week once everything has time to settle somewhat.

• 4 weeks later...

Heres a 5/5/04 update of the tank! co2 kinda stuffed up for a while but I've got it all going good guns now it was screwing up the canister so i stopped that.. also had a spate of saddle back *DOH*

oh photos were taken as the lights were going off so all the plants have closed up! doh!

whole tank

user posted image

right side

user posted image

Red Alenquer Discus (as far as I can tell their not hybrids.. rolleyes.gif )

user posted image

user posted image

3. user posted image

user posted image

Great to see how the tank has been coming on. Also great to see how your photography has improved! Your tank is looking really good, and I agree with your comments in regards to admiration for those who use co2 and bunch plants. Your discus look really great.

Well done, the tank is a credit to you.

Craig

Nornicle,

Magic tank mate! Id love one. But mines not looking anything like that!

What are those plants you used in the forground? e. tenelus?

Regards,

Andrew

Wow what's with the sudden spate of replies!!!

Saddleback = Columnaris a bacterial infection that makes the fish look likes its body has a 'saddle' absolute #$%^ of a disease....

If you look carefully at my plants, the leaves are 'pointed' towards to the surface of the tank... when plants come to the end of their photosynthesis for the day (generally at the end of the photo period, around 10 hours for most plants) they 'close' their leaves for sleep...

It's hard for me to take photos unless its just before the tank is turning off because I have to turn off every light in the house to get the good photos..

Thanks for the congrats on my photography, i've really been trying to learn how to use this digital camera esp with manual modes.. its awesome!! - Canon A80

Sarah - its very low maintainence, one of my goals with this tank is to only touch it for maintainence once every 2 weeks or so (pruning and cleaning the surface) I do try to do 2 50% water changes a week though, for the discus's sake.

Andrew - the plant at the front is a form of echinodorus, many call it tenellus, but i prefer to call the dark green narrow leafed plant tenellus, and the wider leaf one magdalenensis (as aquamail calls it). There is a big difference in the type of plant!! Amano mostly uses the former.. I prefer the former, but magdalenensis grows very quickly and is easier to keep ..

BTW I added a pair of blue rams.. its been nearly a week and they are still alive!! they seem to still be breathing quite quickly, so im feeding the tank an anti-parasitic (in case of gill flukes)

• 2 months later...

I screwed up and white spot hit the guys from a too cold a water change (I blame it on the clown loaches)

I'll try to get pics tonight, but I've taken all the chain sword out and I'm looking for a new foreground carpet plant.. that needs very low light requirements ohmy.gif)

I'm going to try java moss as a foreground plant and see how that goes..

Generally, the best foreground plant thats low maint. is e tenellus but with co2 they too can run pretty quick!

Using java moss as a foreground plant can get pretty messy, unless you tie em to a mesh, huge effort but results are worth it!

Archived