Purigen - difficult to regenerate

glo

Hi,

I am finding it difficult regenerating my purigen. I put 125g in a fine mesh bag and leave this on top of my bioballs. When one bag goes brown I replace with the other bag. This is only the 2nd time I've had to regenerate my purigen. I put the bag and old purigen straight into a chinese takeaway container and add No Frills bleach and water and periodically swirl. This has been taking days and did not fully regenerate. I've had to resort to 100% bleach and it still takes a week or more with swirling every day and adding new bleach.

Any suggestions as to what I am doing wrong? Even the purigen that escapes from the bag takes a while to regenerate.

Thanks

glo

I would strongly advise against 100% bleach... Who knows what your putting back into the tank?

Anyway what i find works is sticking it in a jar and every so often over the 24hrs of regeneration give it a shake to move around the purigen and you'll find it bleaches is a who lot better.

i found that its ok overnight, i normally pick up the bag (with gloves as i hate dat bleach smell on my hands)

and gently squize it a couple of times, cause it will not seem to get the ccentre of the bag 100%.

I Know the guys at seachem, ill buzz them tomorrow if i get a chance, to see if they have any tricks to try... :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I have been using pure Bleach for years on my Purigen

You just have to make sure the wash it properly afterwards and use alittle more Prime

I was talking to a Seachem rep from America about it and he said it was fine to do this way

Brad

You just have to make sure the wash it properly afterwards and use alittle more Prime

I was talking to a Seachem rep from America about it and he said it was fine to do this way

Brad

Just curious ...

Did he say he'd be willing to pay for all your fish should he be wrong?

G'day mate,

just a thought, maybe the container you are using is not big enough. If it doesn't hold enough bleach there will not be enough available chlorine to oxidise all of the impurities. Also the no frills brand might be weaker to start with. I use a jar that holds about 750mls of solution.

I think Oakes is on the money there..... I use 500-750ml of 50-50 solution to regenerate mine and I give the bag a massage 3 or 4 time over the 24 hours to ensure all particles are regenerated. A chinese container has very limited volume..... and bleach is cheap, no need to skimp !

I put the bag and old purigen straight into a chinese takeaway container and add No Frills bleach and water and periodically swirl.

i think i know what the issue is here :lol4: your ment to swish not swirl and which direction are you swirling? remember we are in the southern hemisphere so you have to "swish" in a clockwise direction otherwise your just wasting your time and fighting gravity.

:p sorry i couldnt resist.

but on a serious note... i think the others have nailed it on the head. you need a larger container. the brand shouldnt be an issue imo. any ratio will work even 100%. as long as you rinse and soak it for a week or two and make sure you use Prime or Safe and change the water daily.

Cheers

LunGz

Brad

Just curious ...

Did he say he'd be willing to pay for all your fish should he be wrong?

It's only a different concentration of the same chemicals you goose :lol2:

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah of course it wont affect the Purigen anymore then at 50%

And if you detoxify the Bleach well there isnt anything to hurt your fish

I have talked to Seachem in the States and Australia quite a fair bit over their products

Even meet a few of the Reps from the states

I am wondering exactly what can go wrong besides not using Prime?

And with the amount I have always used there is never going to be a problem

Brad

Archived