Murray Cod & Tandanus Catfish

mezzacam

Dioes anyone have either one of these 2 fish? i'm looking for one of each to put in my back pond.... Does anyone have any fry or know where some place is selling them? And what's the going price for them?

Thanks a bundle Cameron.

MAte i saw some cod fingerlings at Petstock in Adams town, and they were like $6 !!!!!!!!!!!! Insane, i wouldnt pay more than like $1 if i was buying them. If it was me id be looking for places other than petstores if they charge that much. The only places i know to get them chaep are in the country, so no good to u.

Crossraods have also got cod fingerlings for $9. Yeah in the country if they charged that much per fingerling, everyone would just go catch a few in the river. But i remember when i bought a few for my tank they werent very expensive.Same with yabbies down here $10 each, that is mind blowing. Oh well ya have to pay what they ask i guess.

Edited by grungefreek

hey cameron,

I cant wait to have a pond made up for some natives... you lucky bugger! You should definitely get a Tandanus tandanus , I have one in with my americans, they grow fast, are peaceful and active (more at night) and definitely develop a bit of character. I'd love to have a Murry cod too... they get bloody huge though!

Good luck Cameron, oh yeah there's the Crayhaven Fish Hatchery near Karuah which has natives of all types, I'm not sure of there web address but if you want give em a bell and see what they reckon you should get... they'd be a bit cheaper too even though, like you said, $6 aint much for a fish hey.

see ya mate. biggrin.gif

Thanks so much everyone, i'll have a look around for Murray Cod, and also i have to try find a Tandanus Cat, but i'll get one evrentually.. lol, anyhows Thanks again! (might be getting a even bigger pond at the end of the year, plus keeping this inground one too.. w00t)\

Cameron.

Hey again, just found out what ya meant by tandanus catfish, just an ordianry catfish. Well i think petstock also had some similar to these (called golden eel tailed cats, which look simialr just a different colour and they were $13 i think. These natives seem to be taking off round here, dont see anything like this for sale in pet shops back home. Only find em in rivers. Interesting

Cool, i'll look into the gold eel tail cat, as maybe a 50cm cat with a 60-80cm fish in my pond may make it a lil' cramped. but when i get the bigger pond.... i don't know LOL i think i'll stick with the tandanus tongue.gif Thanks for all the reply and help, it's greatly appreciated.

Cheers Cameron huh.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Looked at some cod fingerlings recently. They were $10 bucks each. I decided to approach a couple of the hatcheries round here. One of them asked me what and how many i wanted. It turned out i wanted 1 of everything, as my dad has always wanted a native tank. he said for $10 i could have

1 cod

1 brown trout

1 rainbow

1 yellowbelly

1 silver perch

All about 4-6cms, and i could catch me own out of these huge above ground tanks(more like swimming pools) with a little aquarium net attached to a broom handle. Oh and we also got to go fishing in an old dam that he wanted to get all the fish out so it could be restocked.

Ended up with a couple more natives (eel tails, purple guds etc) that were an experiment years ago that he thought had all gone.

Cheers MT cool.gif

• 17 years later...
On 1/25/2022 at 11:25 AM, Jeff said:

Hey guys just wondering whether I could Co hab a tandanus catfish with a Murray cod?

You might get away with it if the catfish is big enough not to fit in the cod's mouth.  Murray cod do have a pretty big mouth (and appetite) so it would have to be a relatively big tandanus.