dropping light into tank

adam1

Gday people, today whilst playing with my tanks and being a bit lazy. I have knocked my light into my tank, no electrocution luckily. Everybody has survived :dntknw: how i dont know. I have got it out in the sun drying. What are the chances of it working. Has anybody else done such a thing :B .

Should i risk turning it back on in a couple of days and what will the high ph do to the wires

Thanks Adam

Gday people, today whilst playing with my tanks and being a bit lazy. I have knocked my light into my tank, no electrocution luckily. Everybody has survived :dntknw: how i dont know. I have got it out in the sun drying. What are the chances of it working. Has anybody else done such a thing :B .

Should i risk turning it back on in a couple of days and what will the high ph do to the wires

Thanks Adam

Gday Adam,

I did something worse a couple of years ago, and dropped a live powerboard in the tank while taking a hood off. Luckily the circuit breaker tripped straight away and cut all the power. I assume all the power went out when you dropped the light in?

I would remove the light tube and the plastic lens/cover, and let the unit dry out for a few days. If it was only in the tank for a matter of seconds, it will more than likely still work as long as everything dries out first.

Good luck with it.

Cheers

shane

Thanks Adam

Gday Adam,

I did something worse a couple of years ago, and dropped a live powerboard in the tank while taking a hood off. Luckily the circuit breaker tripped straight away and cut all the power. I assume all the power went out when you dropped the light in?

I would remove the light tube and the plastic lens/cover, and let the unit dry out for a few days. If it was only in the tank for a matter of seconds, it will more than likely still work as long as everything dries out first.

Good luck with it.

Cheers

shane

Thanks shane, the power didnt go out in my house, the light just stopped working i switched it off by the power point and pulled the plug before retrieving it out of the tank. And my power board has got a safety switch but it didnt trip i have my heater attached to it and it didnt stop working. Who knows what happened. What light source you using for your tropheus? Do you have a good green algee all im getting is the brown algee.

cheers adam

That might change things a bit. Maybe something in the light burnt out if the power wasn't tripped first. With a bit of luck it might simply work again in a few days. Otherwise, you could try a new tube and hope thats all thats wrong with it.

I use T8 and T5 doubles for my Tropheus tanks. Grows the green stuff. You might try leaving your lights on longer during the day...

Thanks, My lights are on for 12hours a day at the moment.

That might change things a bit. Maybe something in the light burnt out if the power wasn't tripped first. With a bit of luck it might simply work again in a few days. Otherwise, you could try a new tube and hope thats all thats wrong with it.

I use T8 and T5 doubles for my Tropheus tanks. Grows the green stuff. You might try leaving your lights on longer during the day...

the tube will more than likely be fine and so will the starters. all fluorescent light fittings have what is called a ballast. if the light no longer works i would try replacing the ballast first as they are cheaper than a globe. i recently paid $8.50 for a ballast for my 4FT, 40W fluoro. hope this helps

I've dropped the light hood on my Jebo in before. I was putting the glass lid back and one end of the hood fell in to the water, it tripped the circuit breaker. I tried it the next day and all was fine. I wont be trying that again soon (touch wood). I don't know what was worse, dropping it in there, or the verbal abuse I had to take from the Mrs. :lol3:

This isnt about a light but a little moment of stupidity had me standing on a ladder trying to get a ehiem 2260 started.... Didnt screw up the hose tightner... pulled the hose off, 2800/lph shooting out the top at i leaned over from the ladder to pull out the plug from the power board which was hanging on the wall only to have the whole unit fall off the wall down to just the right height for the eheim to be spraying all over it... i just reached over and killed the power point when the whole house went dark :B

So we all have our little accidents :) power point, power board, filters all still work fine :D Mind you i have no idea how i didnt managed to electricute myself :dntknw:

This isnt about a light but a little moment of stupidity had me standing on a ladder trying to get a ehiem 2260 started.... Didnt screw up the hose tightner... pulled the hose off, 2800/lph shooting out the top at i leaned over from the ladder to pull out the plug from the power board which was hanging on the wall only to have the whole unit fall off the wall down to just the right height for the eheim to be spraying all over it... i just reached over and killed the power point when the whole house went dark :B

So we all have our little accidents :) power point, power board, filters all still work fine :D Mind you i have no idea how i didnt managed to electricute myself :dntknw:

Well its been 24hrs now since ive taken the light out and dried off. IT WORKS still zippidy dooda zippedy day my oh my what a wonderful day :clap:thumbup:

hey Adam

i certainly wouldn't trust the safety stop on a power board. but if your little accident didn't trip the safety switch on the house power supply, i'd be checking to make sure that someone hasn't used 8g nails for fuses .

you have an urgent safety issue that needs looking at. be certain--- be safe

hey Adam

i certainly wouldn't trust the safety stop on a power board. but if your little accident didn't trip the safety switch on the house power supply, i'd be checking to make sure that someone hasn't used 8g nails for fuses .

you have an urgent safety issue that needs looking at. be certain--- be safe

Thanks for that im going out to buy a new switch board.

Ta Adam

Adam,

make sure it is the type that has a TEST button, not just an overload reset.

You might like to consider the RCD units used by trades people, and then running your power board off it.

Not cheap, but how many lives do we have?

Works for me... :thumb

Old Dave

Archived