St Marys Oceanarium

m0oks

This is an interesting thread for me.

I recently had a tank break and have been tossing up in my head whether to attempt a repair or just be done with it and buy a new tank.

I was at another forum members place today who mentioned Mahendra as a good place to buy a cheap tank but to be careful of the quality.

So my question for the opinion of you guys is.

Who has the best tanks as oposed to the cheapest.

In 2008 money is always an issue to a degree so cheap can be attractive but after my first tank disaster I tend to think, like Tomi does, that I might be better paying a bit extra.

Here's an example. I saw a tank yesterday in a local lfs which was an exact replica of mine that broke. 4ft x 14" x 18". This joint wanted $110.00 for it. Just the tank. Is that reasonable?

I'm dubious because this same lfs had Metriaclima Callainos for sale at $36.95 EACH!!!!

What's the ballpark figure for a 4x14x18 tank with lids?

Aquariums R Us up here in Brissy have 4ft x 15" x 18" tanks listed for $99.00 Not sure of quality as I haven't been to see them yet but I use them as a reference when looking around.

I saw tank stands on the weekend at the markets $125 for a 3' X 15" X 18" and the quality was rubbish. The trim around the tank bottom was nail gunned on from the front and woodscrews went through the sides to hold everything together. Didn't even try to hide the screws or nails from view. You might get what you pay for but if you don't shop around you can get ripped of.

Fongy and others,

Please note and be very cautious if a tank is not level and there is a high spot in either the base or the floor the tank will eventually crack in the base, it may hapen straight away or it might take days or even months just a matter of time untill the polystyrene at the base has compensated for the high spot and then cannot compensate anymore and then CRACK !!! . Sometimes the high spot does'nt show up untill the tank is full and the weight has setteled all mechanical joints like cabinet etc.

Take out your fish and level now!!! Do not chance it.

In 2008 money is always an issue to a degree so cheap can be attractive but after my first tank disaster I tend to think, like Tomi does, that I might be better paying a bit extra.

not intendred to detract from any sponsers;

Prestige Aquariums in Mt Druitt make the best tank that i have seen.

the quality in materials and workmanship leaves others for dead. people who have tanks from this maker speak highly of the product

Fongy and others,

Please note and be very cautious if a tank is not level and there is a high spot in either the base or the floor the tank will eventually crack in the base, it may hapen straight away or it might take days or even months just a matter of time untill the polystyrene at the base has compensated for the high spot and then cannot compensate anymore and then CRACK !!! . Sometimes the high spot does'nt show up untill the tank is full and the weight has setteled all mechanical joints like cabinet etc.

Take out your fish and level now!!! Do not chance it.

craP you got me paranoid now and i just googled it and its not a good idea to leave it like that anymore longer looks like im selling my fish:(

not intendred to detract from any sponsers;

Prestige Aquariums in Mt Druitt make the best tank that i have seen.

the quality in materials and workmanship leaves others for dead. people who have tanks from this maker speak highly of the product

I've heard that many times. :thumb However, I also heard that they're very slow in delivering it. :dntknw: I'm not trying to bag them, mods feel free to delete it.

Hi guys i have heard of people buying of mehindra and i was close to grabing a couple of tanks off him until another friend told me that his tank 4x2x2 had cracked and he also had it made of him.

Yes he is very cheap and i have seen the quality of the cabinets and they are not the best going round but for the price u are paying what do u expect.

Anyways another friend has tanks off the same man and the lids dont even fit on the tank (most are too small), :blink so guys at the end of the day u get what u pay for.

Why move the tank to an other surface. Get a spirit level and check your floor and then check your tank .It will only take 2 minutes to do so. You will then know what the problem is.

Archived