Callochromis pleurospilus weird holding behaviour

Noddy65

Hi all

Ive got a small group of Callochromis pleurospilus. Theyve just reached reproductive age and at least 2 females have been holding for the last week or so.

The 'strange' behaviour Ive noticed is that sometimes when I feed the fish during the day, none of the fish are holding. I check up on them later in the day and they are holding again. Again later in the day none are holding again.

Does this species 'stash' eggs or fry in the tank and then retrieve them later on? Its definately the same females that have this intermitant holding behaviour.

Regards

Mike :)

Hey mike,

I have a small colony of these and have never experienced this. I do occasionally get females swallowing or spitting eggs after around 4-5 days.

Maybe these fish gulp air? :dntknw:

Wouldnt surprise me if they do 'stash' their eggs - sandsifters are a very interesting fish.

Do you have lots of objects in your tanks, or is it mainly open sand bed?

Maybe have a snoop around next time it happens. I would be very interested to hear if you do find that they hide their brood.

Good luck with the breeding. :thumb

Cheers

Joel

• 2 weeks later...

Sure its not the food they are feed holding in there mouth??

What are you feeding them.

You will notice they hold larger food in the mouth or harder food.

Just you say they are not holding before you feed and later in the day

but are holding after you feed them??

What size are the females.

although not the same species,i have electric yellows that eat daily whilst holding,only a few do it,also,they have big mouthfuls to start but some days i worry theyve gone but i think they must be able to put them somewhere else in their mouths,then theyre back again and in the end have good sized broods.

klw

although not the same species,i have electric yellows that eat daily whilst holding,only a few do it,also,they have big mouthfuls to start but some days i worry theyve gone but i think they must be able to put them somewhere else in their mouths,then theyre back again and in the end have good sized broods.

klw

For the first week or so the mouth looks quite full as the eggs take up more space than freshly hatched fry so thats when it may seem they not holding anymore then as they grow the mouth will get bigger again.

HTH.

Anthony

Hi Dobbin

I was also thinking of food but they are often holding before I feed in the morning...whatever it was nothing came of the mouthfulls...next time Ill grab them and strip them.

Mike

Archived