Substrate: Poll 1 (choice)

Whats your favourite type of substrate?  

59 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I have a dark substrate for my cichlid tanks due to in nature fish prefer a tank with darker substrate.. but i guess thats my opinion on this topic i like the look of sand tho but never had it, i wouldnt get it if i had cichlid they like to dig and you will find dust particles in your tank and in your filter especially not for cichlids.

i Stand by sand i rekon it is the best substrate , Dust particles are easily cleaned off. I alsofind it to be so much cleaner than gravel but i only use a small layer of about 3cm thick because gas pockets etc build up under the top layer and it doesnt smell to good and its not good for the fish either. I have just began setting up a new tanganyika tank and have mixed sand with shell grit and i think it looks awesome.

I generally use sand in the tanks I have on display and no substrate on my working tanks. However I also have one with gravel and one with crushed coral. I like looking at the sand most and I think the fish prefer it. The no substrate tanks are the easiest to maintain.

Hi all,

My choice of substrate is based upon the fish which will be kept in that tank. I prefer using coral sand for the Tanganyikans and Malawis, because of it's buffering capabilities. This finer substrate also suits the habits of many of my sand sifting species and is relatively easy to clean/maintain. However, the drawback to using naturally occuring substrates is the disturbance/devastation of environments from which it is collected.

My softer water tanks have very fine gravel and sand of a darker colour. This is primarily to replicate the natural environment from which these fish originate. It also promotes better plant growth.

I agree with Fiona that bare bottom tanks are easy to maintain, however my personal preference is the provision of substrate. Many people will argue that they have fish breeding (and are therefore happy) in bare bottomed tanks, however I would have thought that fish would prefer a covering.

I know that I prefer a covered bottom ohmy.gif .....and my neighbours probably thank me for that every day blink.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

merjo

Thanks to everyone who voted. I guess with both light sand and coral sand getting the same amount of votes there is no reason for me to change my 6ft tank from coral sand to light sand but I will probably use it in one of my 4ft tanks later on.

Archived