rack journal

AndrewBower

Well this is how it ended after being setup poorly and by using crappy leaky tanks

IPB Image

After talking extensively with Daniel, he has convinced me to get back into fish and re setup my breeding rack. This time I am not going to go half arsed - learned the hard way that a poor setup and planning is no fun and requires too much maintenance. My plan for the rack is sketched below and consists of:IPB Image

4 4x2x18 tanks

a 2x2x18 fry tank and a 2x18x18 fry tank. These will all be run off of a 4x18x18 sump tank located centrally on the 3 tier 8x2 rack. This filtration will be bolstered by a Resun LP-60 running 2 XL sponges in each tank. Heating will be via a couple of 300w heaters, and I am yet to decide on a sump pump. I already have one 4x2x18 tank, and have 3 on order from Mark (best price and quality builds) to finish off the rack. I also have the 2 foot tanks ready to go although one is on loan to a good friend from the forums. I will be filling these tank with some of my numerous Malawi colonies currently in my 8x2.5x2, freeing up that tank to become a large hap tank. Hope you enjoy. I will hopefully update weekly.

Hi there,

The setup seems OK, but without seeing the rack structure, if were you I would add extra some extra welded cross supports maybe 1-2 for every 2 foot, I am not sure that your stand won't buckle under the weight. I also would have lifted the bottom shelf a little higher off the ground as it will be very hard if not impossible to syphon water out the bottom tanks/sump.

I would probably try to get the inlets from the sump alined with the centre of your rack. So I would put the sump on one of the ends and then drain the tanks into the far corner of the say left hand corner of the sump. Gravity costs you nothing but when you are pumping water the higher and further it goes teh less flow you will get.

I also would not go for the LP60 unless you intend to get a heap more tanks you will have to geta a heap of bleeders in order not to cause backpressure on the pump an Lp20 maybe a a 40 would do. I have an LP60 running in a fish room with 20 tanks and 2 lines into each running XL sponges plus a few extra air stones etc.

Another think I would do (because I learnt the hard way) to us conduit for the air not black pipe. It might cost more but once those tanks are in it is a fair effort to try and fix it :thumb

cheers

rosco

Hi there,

The setup seems OK, but without seeing the rack structure, if were you I would add extra some extra welded cross supports maybe 1-2 for every 2 foot, I am not sure that your stand won't buckle under the weight. I also would have lifted the bottom shelf a little higher off the ground as it will be very hard if not impossible to syphon water out the bottom tanks/sump.

I would probably try to get the inlets from the sump alined with the centre of your rack. So I would put the sump on one of the ends and then drain the tanks into the far corner of the say left hand corner of the sump. Gravity costs you nothing but when you are pumping water the higher and further it goes teh less flow you will get.

I also would not go for the LP60 unless you intend to get a heap more tanks you will have to geta a heap of bleeders in order not to cause backpressure on the pump an Lp20 maybe a a 40 would do. I have an LP60 running in a fish room with 20 tanks and 2 lines into each running XL sponges plus a few extra air stones etc.

Another think I would do (because I learnt the hard way) to us conduit for the air not black pipe. It might cost more but once those tanks are in it is a fair effort to try and fix it :thumb

cheers

rosco

Hi Rosco,

The bottom rack of the tank sits roughly 95mm off the ground, making the two fry tanks and sump about 110mm off the ground with foam beneath them. The stand is to get reinforcement, I will use your model of 1 crosspiece for every 2 feet. It is a very sturdy and heavy stand however with over 1200kg of water on it I will not be taking any shortcuts :shock:

Iam not sure what you mean about the sump, as wherever it is positioned, the return line will still go to the same tanks, and hence with the same distance. Could it be plausible to have the top tanks draining into those below and then the middle shelf into the sump?

The airpump I already have, along with a 12 output factory manifold. It will be running 2 XL hydro sponges in each tank to bolster the sump. I had already planned to do the airline in pvc, with silicone drops into the tanks.

thanks heaps for your input! has got my mind ticking over :) anyone else?

Andrew,

I bascially mean this Link. Check out the final drawing I would setup my plumbing like I suggested to Richard. The theory is to pump the shortest distance and drain the longer distance

cheers

rosco

• 2 weeks later...

Ok Guys the tanks have been delayed. The Builder likes to order the sheets of glass pre drilled and forgot to do so, and hence has had to re order rear sheets of glass. I have instructed him to drill the holes so that they drain as Rosco suggested. I have purchased a Pond Master 8000lph return pump for the setup, and should get it on monday. Apart for that, all I need is some Buccochromis Rhoadesii and a heater for the setup :)

I spent $180 at bunnings today on plumbing and 16mm mdf sheeting for the tanks to sit on. with a mates staff card, I saved like $40 :) All that I need to organise now is a sump for the rack. I have a spare 4x14x18 and cracked 4x18x18... which one to use? will the undamaged 4ft be adequate?

• 1 month later...

Update. I put the smashed tank in for repair today and will get it back on Sunday. Last night I picked up 2 3x2x18s to go on the bottom tier so the rack is officially 'in theory' full, bar the broken tank that is on holiday. Hope to have some recent pics up in the next few weeks. Thanks for all of the comments to date, I am always open to questions. :)

• 2 weeks later...

A picture is worth a thousand words... :)

A few things, have you considered any UV filtering in the setup? Also, what lighting are you using and how are you mounting it/wiring/timers etc. Sounds good sofar, but have you put in the cross bracers on the rack that were mentioned earlier on? That rack makes me nervous.

Pics!

Hi All,

I did not end up going for cross bracing, however did go one better....

19mm MDF liquid nailed onto each tier, its now stiff as a rock. I will also be bolting it to the wall. There is no flex in the stand, no bowing etc as each end of each tank is supported very well.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived