Planted tank substrates

Callatya

Can you guys gibe me a quick run down on what planted tank substrates are available in the Sydney area and which are the best value for money based on your experiences with them smile.gif

Thanks.

I have used

Tetra Hilena Initial which is no long available but is an EXCELLENT clay base! but thats useess to everyone tongue.gif.

A hydroponic mixture i forget what its called it looks like tiny wood chips but it CREATES A LOT OF MESS because it floats

potting soil, CLOUDINESS AND PHOSPHOROUS EVERYWHERE.......

Anyway I was considering Dupla Laterite, but read too many issues with cloudy water etc even after rinsing,

I'm now using Aquamedic Terralit on my 6X2.5 because it is quite affordable, It is a granulated substrate mixture that you mix about 1:2 terralit to gravel on your bottom layer of gravel.

I have to say i am VERY impressed, it's like gravel so it doesnt but it doesnt need to be washed, just use it straight away with NO cloudiness... in fact I used it while my tank was still half full.... I expected the worse but it came out awesome.. the only thing was my gravel was dirty so it made my tank cloudy tongue.gif

I'm also going to use JBLs '7 balls' as root feeding clay balls for my more demanding plants...

Anyway I was considering Dupla Laterite, but read too many issues with cloudy water etc even after rinsing,

You don't rinse Duplarit (it's powdered clay); you just add it to the bottom 1/3 of your gravel mix. Have it in two tanks, no problems, except too fast plant growth (but that's perhaps due to the CO2, lights and fertiliser). biggrin.gif

You get a slight puff (or murky water if pulling 1/3 of a tank out) of the stuff when you pull plants out, but it settles quite fast.

I used 1" peat-based potting mix (high quality certified organic stuff) mixed with some known 'virgin' sandy soil (ie never had any ferts or poisons used since 1960-something), small gravel with Duplarit Laterite mixed in, boosted my lighting to 1 x 24" Aqualina CF and now have to prune weekly... and no CO2 yet... and lots of ****i*g algae (green, pale stringy stuff, etc... BN can't keep up with it!).

Cheers - OziOscar.

you might want to check your water for leached phosphates Ozi, that may be why you have an algae bloom, also 1 24" CF is probably not enough for medium high light plants..

get some SAE's to combat stringy algae they love to munch on it..

Cheers,

Richard

Yes - I'm thinking to go to Lam's this arvo and get a phosphate test kit and some phos-down or similar. Any recommendations?

Seen any SAE around lately? I've only seen teeny-little BN with big prices lately... sad.gif

Cheers - OziOscar.

Ahhh, i saw some, but they were TEENY TINY and being sold as flying foxes (goodness knows why, you would think most people would want to do it the other way around!) BUT, i cant recall where i saw them sad.gif

Check the flying fox tanks and the CAE tanks. i have spotted a few flitting around in those over the past few months.

and lots of ****i*g algae (green, pale stringy stuff, etc... BN can't keep up with it!).

How's the water circulation; had problems with hair algae until I increased water circulation, and it disappeared within a week.

BN will not touch hair algae, and SAEs don't seem that partial to it either.

Ahhh, i saw some, but they were TEENY TINY and being sold as flying foxes (goodness knows why, you would think most people would want to do it the other way around!)

The smaller ones I find are better at cleaning than the larger ones that tend to be lazy and eat fish food.

Hi ,

I have previously used a clay based kitty litter with great success.$5 for 20 kilo's at coles.

I think the floaty stuff referred to in previous post is vermiculite.This i have also used but preferred the kitty litter,with thin gravel layer on top.

cheers

jim

I grabbed some misc little Otocinclus sp. and they seem to be right little lawn mowers. In between napping because of full tummies they're well busy eating anything that isn't a rock, stone or advanced plant. biggrin.gif

Algaes are down to almost nothing since last evening.

Cheers - OziOscar.

In my planted tank i use about 4-5cm of organic soilwith a few cm's of gravel over the top. No fancy chemicals no additives, i just feed my fish a little bit extra (and i only syphon the muck off the gravel once a month, sometimes less. Apart from that you just have to add water carefully to avoid disturbing the gravel layer.

And of course avoid active diggers.

I grabbed some misc little Otocinclus sp. and they seem to be right little lawn mowers. In between napping because of full tummies they're well busy eating anything that isn't a rock, stone or advanced plant. biggrin.gif

Where did you find the Ottos? Wouldn't mind more for my tanks.

Thanks Jim smile.gif thats also been in consideration, the coles brand hasnt caused any issues? cool smile.gif

And WOOHOO! i just scored 2 otos too smile.gif wimpy little things, they need some serious fattening up (they were a rescue case from a friend) Is there a way to "de-wimp" them?

• 1 month later...

I have done the same as Oscar using chinese foofd containers and ordinary potting mix, looks good so far. No issue with floaties or clouding. The planting is only about 1 month old. DIY co2 & one ordinary & one growlux over each tank. the new growth is visible on all plants.

Have a look at the Krib site there is heaps of info.

Archived