cycling with ammonia

Cathyl

Gday, have just set up a new tank and would like to cycle it by using ammonia. A few questions though?? What type of ammonia do you use? Also, how much per litre and how often to put it in the tank? Thanks. Cathy.

Hi Cathy,

I cycled my tank using a 25% ammonia solution. I recommend you use clear ammonia and not cloudy ammonia as this contains a clouding agent. Shake the bottle of ammonia and it will foam if it contains surfactants.

To start the fishless you'll need ammonia and nitrite test kits. Add X amount of drops of ammonia until your ammonia level is at 5 ppm. Add the same number of drops daily until there is a nitrite spike, then add half the amount of drops daily until ammonia and nitrites are at 0 ppm. At this point you should do a big water change to reduce nitrates.

To help speed up the cycling process it's a good idea to get a hold of some seeded media from a healthy established tank and it add it to your filter and substrate. Also, increase aeration by adding a couple of air stones and increase the temperature of the tank.

HTH

Mark

Since there are no fish in there yet, I guess you can put as much ammonia as you like in? Within common sense boundaris of course.

I figure add a cup which will be more than enough ammonia for a while so there is no need to check it daily or worry about the levels. Check in a week or two and if its all gone then your done?

Archived