My UW garden

Chi

Thought I would share some pictures of my first attempt at a planted tank. Have kept cichlids for awhile but had a spare 3 foot that was begging for some lush decoration.

I went with really hardy, easy plants and I think the effect has turned out nicely! Was my first go with plants so wanted minimal maintenance. No C02, no additional ferts and two light tubes only on for 10 hours a day...things are still flourishing but! Tank is about 4 months old now.

IPB Image

Sorry for the crummy pic, using a point and shoot!

Plants are:

- Valisneria

- Anubias

- Amazon Sword

- Java Moss

- Java Fern

Fish are:

- 10 white tip rosy tetras

- 6 Rummy Nose tetras

- 2 Pearl Gouramis

- 3 Peppermint BN

- 4 Lacustris Rainbows

- 1 Parkinsoni Rainbow

- 2 Julii Cory (Getting some pals for these guys)

- 2 Paradise Fish

Filter is an Eheim 2213 and an AC mini HOB. Heater is a Blutherm 200W. Lights are a 30W from Bunnings and a marine-glo.

Gives me endless enjoyment and is a whole lot different to aquascaping a rocky cichlid tank!

Was thinking of eventually subbing out the tetras and paradise fish for a pair of show discus or angels! What do you think?

Give me fair and open criticism as i'm always open to suggestions! Should I change the aquascaping? Was thinking of another tall amazon sword in the centre...

Nice work Chi, I would opt for some anubias nana at the tank forefront, a nice bushy line running infront of the log would look great. A sword would need substrate ferts like a JBL ball to keep it healthy as they are heavy root feeders.

Nice tank , I like it!

Rob

Cool idea, i'll look into some Nana. Problem is at all the LFS I goto the little nanas are just as expensive as the big show pieces so i'm always torn when it comes to forking out the dosh haha

I was thinking a low lieing bushy/grassy like plant would look cool too...any recommendations in addition to nana?

Was thinking of eventually subbing out the tetras and paradise fish for a pair of show discus or angels! What do you think?

Give me fair and open criticism as i'm always open to suggestions! Should I change the aquascaping? Was thinking of another tall amazon sword in the centre...

Looks great. About the discus and against what other people may say or experienced my mum has 4 discus with neons n rummys in same tank and they are perfectly fine but dont go getting discus thinkin ive told you discus definatley wont touch the neons ok :thumb Just sayin more likely to not IMO from my experience ;)

• 1 month later...

Looks great! I hope I can get similar results from my lo-tech planted set-up. Well done. :thumbup:

A couple of questions...

How deep is the tank?

How many liters is it?

How many watts of light in total are you running?

Cheers.

Thought I would share some pictures of my first attempt at a planted tank. Have kept cichlids for awhile but had a spare 3 foot that was begging for some lush decoration.

I went with really hardy, easy plants and I think the effect has turned out nicely! Was my first go with plants so wanted minimal maintenance. No C02, no additional ferts and two light tubes only on for 10 hours a day...things are still flourishing but! Tank is about 4 months old now.

Sorry for the crummy pic, using a point and shoot!

Plants are:

- Valisneria

- Anubias

- Amazon Sword

- Java Moss

- Java Fern

Fish are:

- 10 white tip rosy tetras

- 6 Rummy Nose tetras

- 2 Pearl Gouramis

- 3 Peppermint BN

- 4 Lacustris Rainbows

- 1 Parkinsoni Rainbow

- 2 Julii Cory (Getting some pals for these guys)

- 2 Paradise Fish

Filter is an Eheim 2213 and an AC mini HOB. Heater is a Blutherm 200W. Lights are a 30W from Bunnings and a marine-glo.

Gives me endless enjoyment and is a whole lot different to aquascaping a rocky cichlid tank!

wow, i wish i could take crummy pics like that ;)

i think it looks great, i wouldn't put another amazon sword in the centre, looks good with the centre open :)

Archived