10G community suggestions...

SYNiC

We have a 35ltr (approx 10USG) planted (Amazon Sword/Wisteria) & established tank that will become fishless in the coming week or two due to the arrival of our new 200ltr.

I'd like to keep it set-up, with a community of Tetras or something.

We were thinking along the lines of things like;

Neons

Cardinals

Rummynose

Glowlights

Should we stick to the 1" per gallon rule?. The tank is over filtered & pretty heavily planted.

The parameters are;

AM 0.0

nI 0.0

nA ~40

pH 6.5ish

26°C.

I'd be happy with one large school, or two smaller schools like 12 Neons, or 6 Neons & 6 Glowlights.

Can anyone suggest something better/exciting for this set-up?

We look forward to your replies.

Michael & kids.

How about 6 cardinals and 6 rummynose?

They should make a good display. ;)

Yeah I think we will go with 6&6. Depends on what stock I can get locally, will be what we will go for.

Either way, I think it will make for a nice little planted community, next to our new Jebo R390.

Thanks for the replies folks, keep any other ideas coming...

cardinals look good, but also have a look at some long-finned zebra danios (if you can find them)... they look amazing.

The same as these?.

I have seen Zebras before, while I think they look good in a bigger community, we are trying to go for something with some nice bright colors for this little 10G.

Thanks for the suggestion though! :thumbup:

What about 8 x Glowlight and 4 x White clouds. The white clouds have nice shape and good colour while not being over the top and they allow you to have the other group as the emphasis of the tank.

So many tetras to choose from, but the cardinal/rummynose combo would be nice. For more contrast between colour and shape you could substitute either species for 6-8 harlequin rasboras which school really well.

I could not resist also putting a pair of blue rams in there.

So many tetras to choose from, but the cardinal/rummynose combo would be nice. For more contrast between colour and shape you could substitute either species for 6-8 harlequin rasboras which school really well.

I could not resist also putting a pair of blue rams in there.

8 harlies, 2 blue ram and 5 rummy nose sounds really interesting.

You think that would be pushing the limit of 35ltrs? I thought I read that Blue Rams are pretty sensitive to water conditions, and take a bit more care to keep (even though I think they are a fantastic looking fish). I also thought Cichlids and planted tanks weren't the best idea?.

I went to another LFS today, no one is stocking Cardinals, only neons :/ I have one more to check out and see what he has. The one I went to today wanted $6ea for Rummynose, $4ea for Glowlights, and $3ea for Black Neons, (I thought they were pretty high pricess). Infact all his stock was pretty pricey.

I'll see how I go once I get the new 200ltr set-up.

Thanks again for more ideas. :thumbup:

You think that would be pushing the limit of 35ltrs? I thought I read that Blue Rams are pretty sensitive to water conditions, and take a bit more care to keep (even though I think they are a fantastic looking fish). I also thought Cichlids and planted tanks weren't the best idea?.

I went to another LFS today, no one is stocking Cardinals, only neons :/ I have one more to check out and see what he has. The one I went to today wanted $6ea for Rummynose, $4ea for Glowlights, and $3ea for Black Neons, (I thought they were pretty high pricess). Infact all his stock was pretty pricey.

I'll see how I go once I get the new 200ltr set-up.

Thanks again for more ideas. :thumbup:

You might be right, what size is 35L? I was thinking it was about a standard 2ft long tank but if only 18" or so perhaps you could reduce the numbers a little. It is said that Rams can be a little sensitive, but i have never had a problem. I guess the main thing is to maintain clean balanced water. Many cichlids will eat, destroy or uproot plants but rams and other dwarf cichlids are fine, in fact they prefer the security provided.

It's probably a little shy of 35ltrs 460Wx300Hx260D (approx). It's just a custom acrylic tank I made at work one day. I'll see how it goes once I get the new 200ltr up and running. I did see some Blue Rams the other day, they really do look great, maybe a pair of them with half a dozen tetras would be nice... My pH of around 6.5 might be a little high for them according to this?.

It's probably a little shy of 35ltrs 460Wx300Hx260D (approx). It's just a custom acrylic tank I made at work one day. I'll see how it goes once I get the new 200ltr up and running. I did see some Blue Rams the other day, they really do look great, maybe a pair of them with half a dozen tetras would be nice... My pH of around 6.5 might be a little high for them according to this?.

The rams will do great around 6.5. I did get a bunch of blue rams from a LFS about 12 months ago which were very sensitive but i think if i had of floated them for longer and got them better used to the conditions before putting them into the tank this would have helped as it seemed to be just the initial shock more then anything they were fanastic once they settled.

I would say though if your going to have Rams maybe you should put them in your 200L planted they would probably be more at home there and then you could have just tetras etc. Also you should consider the Gold Rams they really do look great probably a little better then the blue ones and definately better then the bolivian/german ones.

Also you should consider the Gold Rams they really do look great probably a little better then the blue ones and definately better then the bolivian/german ones.

You mean better as in hardier?. I'll have a search in the Cichlid section and see what I can find out. I think the link I was looking at was German Blue Rams, obviously there is a difference between those and 'Blue Rams'? (I haven't kept Cichlids before). I do love the look of the German Rams in the above link though. :lol1:

Archived