3rd time lucky?

sicj

Ok here we go

I have my 3rd batch of brstlenose fry but none to show

the first batch i lost due to moving house.

The second batch seem to dwindle in the same tank as the parents 1 by 1 they dyed off ( no other fish in the tank)

I have a fry saver which i am going to try with this 3rd batch.

I am after some opinions good or bad or anything as i have never managed to grow any bristle fry to over 1cm.

What do you think i should do

Thanks John

Are they commons?

There are too big factors - food and water.

Generally with the littlies less is best when it comes to water changes. This needs to be balanced with huge amounts of food, though.

Personally I favour frozen peas defrosted and popped out of their skins. Do not leave skins on!!!!

Good luck.

Personally I wouldn't move them to a fry saver.

What size tank are they in? Are there other fish in there? If not, I would leave them where they are.

I also think they should be kept on gravel as I think it makes it easier for them to feed.

They will relish any large bits of gunk from your filter - again, only if they are the only fish in the tank, not everyone can manage that much pollution.

Basically you want can leave the base of the tank a little hinky, as long as the water remains clear. Turbidity does not suit them. Keep filtration up but keep water changes small.

Kittens do not fare well with water changes so keep them to minimum during this time. They also need to stay with mum and dad to develop the gut flora (bacteria) that they need to digest their food. Wood for lignin which they love to munch on. Feed them daily flake, pellets, fresh veg eg zucchini, peas etc and ensure that all uneaten food is removed daily.

Good luck.

Ok the babies are in the fry saver and smashing the pellets and algae wafers i am putting in there.

There are also another 10 or 15 of them in the cave with dad and all over the tank.

I am going to see which of them survive or grow better and hopefully get some fries to live.

The babies have been in the fry saver for 3 days now and can see there little bellies full of food :)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi John,, Did you keep them alive??,I dont do a water change for at least 2 weeks,dont use a fry saver as like to keep them with dad for a while then move them, same water as the tank they come from

They have all survived and are growing well. The male is actually now sitting on some wrigglers again.

I put half the fry in a frysaver to see which grows faster and so far they are growing at the same rate.

No fatalities i do water changes once every 2 weeks and only about a bucket full and this seems to work.

Archived