Filtration for a 6x2x2.5

AzFish

Hello,

Have just got the above tank and due to the age of the tank im not keen on getting it drilled as originally planned.

I have a aquanova 1500 for this tank already and im planning on adding something bigger to cope with the load. Can anyone share their experiences with the following filters:

Aqua Nova NCF-2000 @ $249 - Im a fan of this brand, very quiet and efficient filters, however for the price it only does 2000 lph.

Aqua Pro CFD-2600 2400lph @ $199 - Cant find any info on this filter. Looks like a cheap Chinese made model to me, if its anything like Mozoo I'll stay well clear.

Aqua One Aquis CF2400 @ $231 - I have Aqua One HOB's and they have been working great for 2+ years. For the output the price output I like this filter.

2 x JBL Cristal Profi Canister Filter CP500 @ $150 x 2 - Offers a 4 year warranty. Just will need two of them.

I kind of need to keep the cost down under the $300 mark for this filter. Another option I guess would be to use a Pond filter with external pump but this option would stretch the budget to the max and over it I think.

Also, regarding overflows, I understand the pricipal in which these operate, however, is there even a slight chance the siphon can fail when the power goes off and comes back on again?

Cheers,

Aaron

Since you are going to run two cannisters, the Aqua Nova is a good option.

I have a couple of these and they're great....easy to clean and use, and at the prices from AOA, very had to go past.

Some people scoff at "cheap" cannisters but as you have two, you always have backup if one does fail prematurely and at the price, it can be replaced fairly easily anyway.

Just check the wattage rating as running costs may be a little higher than the more expensive brands.

Good luck and have fun with the BIG tank!!!

KimO.

Sorry a bit off the topic and I'll be keeping a close eye on your thread Aaron, because I'm about to set up a 6.5ft x 2ft x 1.5ft tank. But does the Aqua Nova NCF-1500 have a priming feature on it?

I was looking to get 3 of these for my tank, which should be around 4500 l/hr and based on AOA should cost around $297, which I think is a pretty good deal for 4500 l/hr!

Cheers,

Ray

It's the same design as the cf-1000 and they have a primer, so i'd say yes it does.

Give AOA a call and check with them as the photo for cf-1500 shows that it has a primer.

KimO.

It does have a priming feature and it sucks. I suck through the hose of fill up the canister with water before hand.

It does have a priming feature and it sucks. I suck through the hose of fill up the canister with water before hand.

suck through the hose! :shock: ! Do you have internals filter/powerheads D6C1? None of my filters have a priming feature, so on the weekend, I had a bright spark and decided to try and use an internal to get the canister going (2217) and dang did it work :lol4: ! I used a fluval 4 internal!

Thanks for the info on the NCF-1500 as well!

i have 3 aqua nova cannisters running and have no complaints

i use a ncf 2000 and a 1500 on my 6x2x2 with a 3000Lph internal and they do it well..

i also use a ncf 2000 on my 4x2x18 with a large internal as back up

they were cheap and they both run smooth and quiet. however i didnt use any of the media provided except for the sponges, i filled all the other compartments on all 3 filters with aquaclay.

age of aquariums, have aquaclay. it could be better than noodles. has a larger surface area probably because it is round. ie 280m2 per litre, 54% porosity. im trying it, so far so good.It is also a natural product.

Archived