6x2.5x2.5 setup journal

mcsx

hrmm have u got any pictures of the end result by any chance?, so i can see what you mean cos ive always stuck to black.

thanks mark.

Regarding the paint, if I can make a suggestion, go for the darkest green / aqua you can find. Stick to the green side of aqua, but not full green. Find the darkest one you can, without it looking black :lol2:

I've painted lots of taks lots of colours over the years, and a really dark aqua looks the best. All colours will lighten substantially once the tank is filled and there is light shining on it, so you need to start a lot darker than your preferred end colour.

Andy,

Have you ever painted iside a weir to blend it in? I am consiering painting the next tank (4x2x2) instead of universal background but I want to hide the weir.

cheers

Rosco

I actually don't have any of my newest tanks, but here is a picture taken in an older tank with the same colour. The flash washed the colour out a bit. It looks a bit darker in real life. I'd go a few shades darker than what I went. The actual colour of the paint I used was much darker than you see in the pics, and you can see how light it goes.

Rosco, no I haven't. I'd imagine the paint would peel off pretty easily with all that water hitting it. You could double glaze the wier during manufacture and paint the back of the first layer of glass I guess....

IPB Image

Rosco, no I haven't. I'd imagine the paint would peel off pretty easily with all that water hitting it. You could double glaze the wier during manufacture and paint the back of the first layer of glass I guess....

thanks mate I will probably go for the universal backgrounds in that case I have the 4x2x2 and the weir is built Nice pheno :thumb

cheers

Rosco

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not Yew, but I'll answer your question anyway.

The fish is a Placidochrimis phenochilus "Tanzania" (there's also a "Mdoka" variety that gets white lips instead of the speckles.)

No idea where to source them from. Place up a WTB in the classifieds.

I'm not Yew, but I'll answer your question anyway.

The fish is a Placidochrimis phenochilus "Tanzania" (there's also a "Mdoka" variety that gets white lips instead of the speckles.)

No idea where to source them from. Place up a WTB in the classifieds.

thanks mate

• 1 month later...

Ok everyone its been a while but finally ive stepped up and done it!, ive set up my tank heres just a few pics. i was going to do a full on journal but in the end i became lazy and didint make the pictures, even though the process wasnt extremely interesting.

Firstly i repainted the background black, i decided on this colour sorry vis :p.

IPB Image

The next day i added 60kg's of Washed Sand which u purchase from bunnings for a nice 5 dollars a bag(20kg).

IPB Image

Finally today i added the rocks (lava rock) and water, also added all the accessories.

IPB Image

I'm happy ive finally set it up yay! :thumbup: lol.

yeh it is a nice size, wish it was bigger though haha, i will be keeping a couple of different tang species.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

hey sorry late reply the tanks currently still running with alot of fish gone, ive gotten rid of my frontosas to make space for something new, im also trying to purchase another filter for it, so i can get a nice group of tropheus in there with some other types of fish too.

• 1 month later...

hello everyone its been a while since i posted an update, so just a little one for everyone to see, i currently have new tropheus i put in about 3 weeks ago, ok well the tank is home to;

Cyprichromis Leptosoma Malasa x 5 - sadly alot got eaten by my previous fish

Altolamprologus Compressiceps Firefin x 1 - the other one died from being egg bound

Julidochromis Marlieri x 2 - hopefully a pair but i doubt it, will get more

and my newest additions

Tropheus Moori Lufubu f1 x 9 - need to find more

i keep changing my aquascaping at the moment, not for look but to stop my dominant male from being so aggressive.

still havnt managed to find the right setup, started with a rockpile in the middle; he kept them all packed up in the corner. tried 3 larger rockpiles; same deal "in the picture" and then current rock setup is slightly better but still not perfect.

IPB Image

IPB Image

thanks mark~

i got 2 piles at each end now, piling them up close to the surface wouldent be very easy for me, as the tank is 76cm high.. would take alot of carefull stacking, i dont wanna take that risk, i also need to buy more rock anyway.

Archived