pleco info ?

sean

Hi everyone

just wondering if anyone knows roughly how long a gold spot or sailfin pleco can live out of water ???

i have seen pictures of plecos in mud caves above water so i presume they can stay out for a while ???

also i see people holding the plecos in there hand and making them display the fins , is there a trick to that ?

anyone tell me how to do it ?

In Thailand one fish farm I visited was draining ponds so they were moving various pleco breeders over to other ponds. The day I was there, they practically filled the back of a ute with big plecos. Dig around the mud of the empty pond and then just pick up and toss them in ...... without water. Then the workers stopped to have a cigarette and a chat before throwing wet hessian bags over the top and driving away. I was told the new ponds were about a kilometer away. They are pretty tough obviously. There are people keeping and breeding large plecos in deep ponds over winter in SE QLD. They do slow down but cope okay.

When you pick them up by the nose, they will instinctively "bristle up" for self defense. So will bristlenose.

Archived