painting a metal stand

Gav

well, the new stand is ready and delivered. i now just need to paint it. obviously i want to get it done as well as possible, and want to ensure that I avoid it rusting. so anyone know what type of paint is best? also, if you know of a paint, any idea where is best to get it. havent painted a metal stand myself before, so just want to make sure that I do it properly. Also want to make sure that it lasts!

stand is 50mm tubular steel.

G'day Gav,

I'm not an expert but I've seen a few metal frames painted. First is preparation. You'll have to remove any grease or oil, and most steel tube comes pre-oiled to prevent rust (turps should clean it up ok?). And remove any weld slag (a good fabricator should have done that already).

It's essential that you prime coat before applying your finish coat. Bunnings should be able to provide enough free advice about paint types etc.

But have you considered powder coating? It has to be done professionally - I don't have any idea of cost or who can do it but Charlie Wright tells me he had his latest set of stands powder coated and he swears by it. One bonus is that the powder coating company does all the tedious preparation for you :yes:

Cheers,

Lee.

my stand was raw metal. just cleaned the surface and made sure it was dry and oil free.

i got the paint from bunnings and you can get primer etc there too. they have rust proof paint in many colours and its in cans.. did a few coats in blk and i was done.. just good it a good time to dry.

single tank. 6ft x 4ft x 2.5ft. its currently being made, so have to get the stand painted before the tank is done :)

see my other recent post, more details there

In my opinion a Hammertone paint(grey) would be the best to use,looks great and is lasting. As for powder coating it won't be the cheapest thing to get done but does look good,the only problem being that if it starts to chip off it can then start to peel as well. Having done a lot of powder coating myself,be wary of where you go,if you decide to go along those lines,a lot of dodgy powder coaters around. What about Electroplating?

Gav

The welded joints and the feet are where the corrosion usually starts so a cold galvanising paint is a must I've been using Galmet enamel for finish coats and looks looks ok after 1year with condensation raining form the celling in the bunker

think about placing some rust preventitive oil inside the leg tubes and make up a plug that will keep the feet up and dry they aren't to bad for leveling and stop rust stains on the floor

Neil

• 3 weeks later...

Mate, I gotta ask, how much a tank that size goes for??????

And will have to have pics of the setup.

Dave

PS. as is said above prime and 1 or 2 cotes of killrust would do it.

Hammertone is good for hiding imperfections. Gloss enamel will show up EVERYTHING.

so just want to make sure that I do it properly. Also want to make sure that it lasts!

Get the stand galvanised for longevity. A hot dip gal will increase the strength and rust wont be a problem especially with a few coats of paint. When you are undertaking a project this big, you dont want to have to empty or try to move it for a long long time!

Good luck with the project mate, great sized tank.

Archived