Water Change drums

AzFish

Hi,

Picking up a couple of these on the weekend and I have been told they used to have brown vinegar in them. Is this going to pose any problems? Just give them a good wash and they will be good to go?

Cheers,

Aaron

yeh i dont see the problem if you gave em a good clean out

just get a scrubber and hot water

and give em a good scrub out

Many Thanks!

Hay i have 3 drums at home i use for storing water, when i got them they still had two inches of brown vineger in the bottom, i just washed them with hot water and a bit of detergent.

All my fish are still alive so i think it is safe.

I would never use any type of detergent on anything being used for my tanks, too risky for me

Probably best to just use a hand full of bi carb and lots of water to scrub them clean

CQD

I would probably use the vinager to clean out the detergent, not the otherway around. The acid in the vinegar will neutralise in aftrican water anyways, so its nothing that a couple rinses with the hose wouldnt fix.

Nice score!

The ones that have olives in them and have an oily residue are a pain in the @ss to clean.

I would never use any type of detergent on anything being used for my tanks, too risky for me

Probably best to just use a hand full of bi carb and lots of water to scrub them clean

CQD

bi carb would be a good idea :thumbup:

CQD

bi carb would be a good idea :thumbup:

Yeah probably not the smartest thing to clean with, didn't think much of it at the time. I have been useing the drums for about six months with no issues so i must have got away with it!!! Lucky

Thanks for all the help people! picked up the drums today and i was lukcy to get two that had only had food stuffs in them with a plastic bag around the food, so not much needed to clean them out!

How long do most people age their water before using it? is 24 hours ok if i have primed and added buffers ect? or should i be waiting more than this?

i add the buffers etc. while the drum is filling, this helps to dissolve them. i leave the pump and the heater running for 24 hrs. i add the prime about half hr before i use the water . i need to do this every night to stay on schedule with my water changes. but some perfectionsts say that the water should age for a week with an air stone running and add a % of the buffers every few days, to prevent calcification.

i don't have this problem. this is my regeim, it works for me. others may have a different veiw point.

but each to their own :lol3:

hth;

man, I dont even age my water, I use it straight from the tap add some conditiner and chloromon and away I go, I never had a problem yet. I have nine tanks now do you guys think I should start using a drum and aging my water?

cheers

Rob

man, I dont even age my water, I use it straight from the tap add some conditiner and chloromon and away I go, I never had a problem yet. I have nine tanks now do you guys think I should start using a drum and aging my water?

cheers

Rob

It depends on what you keep and whats convenient for you. At the end of the day, it is a better procedure as the water you are adding to the tank is as close as possible to the existing water. Some fish are more hardy than others. Most Malawi and mbuna are pretty hardy and can cope with larger water changes, and

Tangs seem to be more delicate. There are two opinions on Tropheus, some people report large and harsh changes work fine for them with no losses, while others experiences end in tears. Find what works for you and stick with it i say.

Archived