Silver Dollar Spwaning

astric

Hi There,

This afternoon I witnessed my girlfriend silver dollars spawning, I got there this morning and one of her dollar has become really dark in its fins i mean black outlines with bright red fins going crazy harrassing the other dollars, at first i didn't think much of it, I ask her whats going on and she says she don't but think they must be happy. Then I went out for a few hours and came back, and it was still like that but now all her other fish are swaming around this piece of ornament eating things off it. Then all of a sudden two dollars swam over right next to each other with their pelvic fins wrapped around each other does a shake and wham bang shakes out a few eggs, I could no believe what I'm seeing, they go at it for ages but i couldn't save any eggs as the other fish made quick meals of it. It was awsome to see, I always thought you couldn't spwan them in a tank environment? Has anyone else out there had any success breeding this fish???

Cheers

Hi There,

This afternoon I witnessed my girlfriend silver dollars spawning, I got there this morning and one of her dollar has become really dark in its fins i mean black outlines with bright red fins going crazy harrassing the other dollars, at first i didn't think much of it, I ask her whats going on and she says she don't but think they must be happy. Then I went out for a few hours and came back, and it was still like that but now all her other fish are swaming around this piece of ornament eating things off it. Then all of a sudden two dollars swam over right next to each other with their pelvic fins wrapped around each other does a shake and wham bang shakes out a few eggs, I could no believe what I'm seeing, they go at it for ages but i couldn't save any eggs as the other fish made quick meals of it. It was awsome to see, I always thought you couldn't spwan them in a tank environment? Has anyone else out there had any success breeding this fish???

Cheers

good work, hopfully u can save some eggs next time and grab a photo:)

i hav no experience with the dallors tho so sorry:(

good luck and hope they breed again:)

• 2 months later...

Mine attempt to spawn pretty often I think, but unfortunately we have a blue cobalt who is probably the main culprit when it comes to the eggs never being seen. Either them or the gold gouramis, they're all the the mrs' tank but we're moving tomorrow and I'll setup a spare 2ft to move the annoying fish so hopefully they can spawn. Its kinda funny, my female dollar is much bigger than the male and still growing (also younger).

Archived