breeding alto comp (black calvus)

sean

Hello everyone

just wondering if anyone is breeding them ?

wouldn't mind setting up a speices tank 4 them

anyone got any juvies for sale ?

what are they like to breed ?

whats the smallest tank i could use for 1 breeding colony of comps (1 male 3 females) ??

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR UR HELP

also i came home today to find my 1 of my haplochromis nyerie was holding , and the other 3 females in the tank where chasing her around ... so i put her in a breeding net and she spat the juvies (they are free swimming) now should i remove the female or leave her in there for a few more days ? i have put some gravel and a fake plant in breeding net ....

will breeding net be ok to use for grow out until they reach 2cm each ?

there is about 20-40 juvies ?

the other nyerie females are tryin to get juvies throught the net (but i have no where else to put them ?

Hello everyone

just wondering if anyone is breeding them ?

wouldn't mind setting up a speices tank 4 them

anyone got any juvies for sale ?

whats the smallest tank i could use for 1 breeding colony of comps (1 male 3 females) ??

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR UR HELP

also i came home today to find my 1 of my haplochromis nyerie was holding , and the other 3 females in the tank where chasing her around ... so i put her in a breeding net and she spat the juvies (they are free swimming) now should i remove the female or leave her in there for a few more days ? i have put some gravel and a fake plant in breeding net ....

will breeding net be ok to use for grow out until they reach 2cm each ?

there is about 20-40 juvies ?

the other nyerie females are tryin to get juvies throught the net (but i have no where else to put them ?

I never found them difficult to breed. Patience is required though, especially raising the fry.

Smallest tank i would use for a colony of 4 would be a standard 3ft. 2ft ok for a pair.

Hi Sean , not sure what happened to my first attempted reply. Just got the quote printed.

I've got 5 small calvus in a std 4ft tank with some taiwan reef and benga peacocks. They all get along fine. Some of the calvus have begun to hang around shells and barnacles, so they seem happy enough to claim territory and hopefully breed!

As for your female, how big are they fry? If they can swim around a bit, they should be OK in the fry net by themselves. If they are still just eggs, she may pick them up again. I don't add gravel to my fry savers, but sometimes add real plant pieces for them to hide in or eat.

Good luck

Bruce

I have a pair of calvus in a standard 3ft tank with a bunch of other mbuna in it. ( yellows etc...)

I only had one shell in there and as I recently bought some new calvus I was going to add these two with them and as I picked up the shell to my suprise I have babies!

I have seperated the female from the fry and the fry are in a fry saver and I have been feeding them bbs but they dont seem to want to eat it yet.

And what size fish are on your calvus colony

I breed a trio of whites in a 4ft with a colony of leptosomas. Calvus take about 2 years to grow to maturity. Therefore if you buy some around the 3-5cm mark. You have another 1 to 1 1/2 years to wait. Fry take 6 months to grow to 3cm. If you want to breed, once they start they will go around every 4-5 weeks. Fry will eat each other if they can. Separating young is a must, I use 3 2ft tanks & a narrow 4x1x1 for grow outs. The 4ft is used for mbuna fry too.

yellowz, a tip for new fry. Get some micro worm culture going & fry liquid/powder. I have found that bbs didn't work for me. Maybe they are to big.

I think live food may be needed to, why? To stimulate feeding as they are not active at all for the first week or 2.

I use barnacle shells too, work great. Just started breeding another pair in a 4ft with electric yellow colony.

A couple of handy links worth reading.

alto info

more alto info

alto info again

Frenchy :)

Archived