Dimidochromis compressicep

sean

Hi everyone

Just wondering if anyone has tryed or sucessfully breed dimi comps ?

i think there a awesome looking fish , And are a very good seller at my work.... i belive there common name is malawi eye-biter ?

Anyone got any info on these guys ?

i love the look and personality of them but have never kept them

Any info would be greatly appreiceated (sorry bout spelling) i didnt go much on english during school lol

you need a large tank no smaller then a 6ft and you need a colony of dimis at least 5 ie 1 male 4 females or if you got a good size tank a couple of males and more females,

they are easy to breed , they are aggressive though ive kept them with other fish with no problems

cheers

There used to be heaps aroung and still is. I used to breed them years ago but they dont sell for much now. Lg tank needed as said, boys can be rough, Do a search and you will have plenty of info.

As was said above, they have always been around, but as with most large haps, their success is their own downfall.

They breed so well and in such large numbers, people stop keeping them after a while as they cannot sell the fry, and even when they do the fry are worth next to nothing.

Around 6? years ago a lovely German bred bloodline arrived here, which had excellent shape and colour. I paid a lot of money for fry from this line, and my colony did very well, but again, once they over bred, it was very hard to sell fry. Our local stock will have benefited from the injection of new blood though.

I recommend keeping them. They are still one of my favourite fish and a pleasure to watch. Give them plenty of space and just one or two males to as many females as you can get. Their breeding dance is second to none.

Like most cichlids, they will become popular again in the future once most people aren't keeping them any more and suddenly want them. If you can get hold of nice straight fish (straight from the nose to the forehead) you can't go wrong.

Here's a picture of one of my old males:

IPB Image

Thanx for ur elp , info guyz

VIS that male is awesome !!!!!

To me they are the coolest looking fish....

i want to breed them in a 4x2x2 , so i am think 3 females , 1 male

are they a messy fish ? alot of waste ?

Plenty of room in that tank for 4x Dimmi ,,, They will be happy and should give you plenty of fry if the water condishion is ok ,, Yer Vis thats one nice male !!!

Plenty of room in that tank for 4x Dimmi ,,, They will be happy and should give you plenty of fry if the water condishion is ok ,, Yer Vis thats one nice male !!!

Well i just purchased my dimi comps .... i had to do a bit of a trip but i went and brought 2 from all the local aquariums (well i wouldnt say local hour drive 2 each lol) i have 8 all up they are about 4-6 cm. .. i will post some pics up soon . The only problem is i could only afford a standard 4ft tank 4x18 ( i went all out on the canister filter) cause i heard they are messy , i am going to grow them out till i can tell there sex then keep the domanent male the 3 females ? they should be right in 4ft ?

i know when the female is holding i need to remove her to a new tank (i have a 3ft for this purpose ) ..

will post pics soon

any info people

BE HONEST I CAN TAKE CONSTRUCTIVE CRITASISM)

Archived