New Fluval FX5 with the upgrade

CQD

I am thinking of getting a FX5 but would like to know if the new upgraded model has removed the problems others have experienced?

Can anyone tell me what the new model is called? FX5i?

Thanks

I have had my FX5 for one and a half years. I haven't experienced any problems with it. :)

Im happy with mine! :thumb

Same, didn't clean it for 2 months and tested the flow rate... it was still about 2422.664 Ltr/hr

perhaps you could place the return into a large bucket at the same height it would be in the tank....time how long it takes to fill the bucket, then divide 60 by the time to you got to fill the bucket, then multiply that by the litre capacity of the bucket you used....

so say your filter filled a 25L bucket in 1 minute, divide that time into an hour gives you 60, multiplied by 25 (bucket capacity) gives you 1500lph

I am thinking of getting a FX5 but would like to know if the new upgraded model has removed the problems others have experienced?

Can anyone tell me what the new model is called? FX5i?

Thanks

I run two on my 6x2x2 tank and are great. Only trouble I had i burnt out the circuit board during black out when I used generator. Apparently the current spiked the circuit board. Replaced it and now run serge protectors on both pumps with no hassals. They clean great and require little maintance.

Cheers

orgazza

perhaps you could place the return into a large bucket at the same height it would be in the tank....time how long it takes to fill the bucket, then divide 60 by the time to you got to fill the bucket, then multiply that by the litre capacity of the bucket you used....

so say your filter filled a 25L bucket in 1 minute, divide that time into an hour gives you 60, multiplied by 25 (bucket capacity) gives you 1500lph

To three decimal places? :dntknw:

Bruce

:lol3: Going to 3 decimal places was a joke cause i said "about" before hand....

I measured 10secs of flow into a bucket, multiplied by 6 then multiplied by 60.

My measurement was pretty accurate, emptied the water into a more accurate container and also didn't change the head height when taking the measurement.

Thought it was a pretty impressive number after 2 months with saratoga,2 barra,2 plecs, RD's etc... not exactly light eaters :lol2:

might start a thread for others to add their numbers, could prove to be interesting.

LOL @ 3 decimal places.

Yeah i have one of these also, great filter, plenty of power, however if using the micro filter pads they will cavitate after a while (depends on your tank size and stock). The pump cant get enough water in and due the design sucks in a little (ok a lot) of air around the seals. Hence why the pump stops for 60 seconds every 24 hours.

I just use that as my cleaning indicator.

6 year warranty :thumbup:

I have no complaints other than being a heavy SOB when filled....nearly break my back moving from the tank to the sink. (yes i know it has a backwash function)

so can anyone confirm that

a) there is an upgrade

and

b) what exactly that upgrade is?

:dntknw:

I work at a shop, and deal with the supplier of Fluval products in Australia, we stock all the fluval range, as far as i am aware there has been no upgrade to the FX5, if there had been the rep would have told us about it, we use a FX5 at work on 6x2x2 with a Giant Gourami in it, the fish around 20-22 inches in length, and have had no problems with it, it has been on the tank since Oct 06 and we have cleaned it twice.

I was also told that the claimed 5 / 6 year warranty is a load of rubbish.

It's either 12 months or 3 years at most 'apparently'.

I will let the dept of fair trading decide on that one ;)

I have a very clear invoice that says "6yr man. warranty"

Wicked filter i reakon. Easy to tun and easy to maintain... (well if you maintain) I use one on my 5x2x2 and one on my 6x2x2 they do the tank a treat. Enough water moving to keep the tank clean and not too much movement to wee wEE the fish off. I'll be doing a search and getting a few more for some new tanks i'm setting up.

Top filter IMO and i reakon if you have been holding back get one for sure!

I never got the full story, but it was from a LFS owner when I purchased one of these. Something about the 6 year warranty just being a sticker wrongly stuck on the external packaging.

But yeah my invoice definately clearly states 2 years warranty.

I'm with you on the Dept. Fair Trading however in the event something happened. I wonder how many were sold with the 6 year sticker on the box (mine was clearly removed).

hey guys

sorry i cant comment on this filter as i dont own one but

as a result of this thread i ran a search on the above mentioned

filter and on a website i found they were also advertising a 6

year warranty so if they are advertising 6 years then thats what you

get imo

just my 2 cents worth

Matt :thumb

here is a quote from the website

Aquarium capacity: 1500 litres

Pump output: 3500 lph

Mechanical area (foam): 210,000mm2

Biological volume: 5.9 litres

Filtration volume: 20 litres

Filter circulation: 2300 lph

Head height (max): 3.3m

Wattage: 48 watts

For fresh or saltwater use

Media included: Filter sponge only

Includes easy setup DVD

6 year warranty

There are a lot of online stores advertising them as 6 yrs. A couple of our sponsors too.

I wouldnt worry too much about it, even if your unit did not come with a sticker or the paperwork within the box only states 2 years. There will always be old stock sitting in warehouses. The warranty procedure is based on the date sold to the end consumer, not the date sold to the retailer or wholesaler.

As long as your unit was sold to you after that date (somewhere at the begining of 2007 I think??, dont quote me) then your 6yr warranty would be valid.

If there is a mistake made with stickers, and retailers advertising 6rs incorrectly then I would imagine there would be a huge public backlash at some point. Most large companies would honour the mistake to avoid the bad publicity and to boost the general opinion of their brand. Personally im not going to worry about a single thing until my unit fails.

Sleep easy everyone.

There was an upgrade on the circuit board. I think any FX5 after mid 2006 has the upgrade but get onto fluval for the exact time of the upgrade.

It fixed alot of problems that the filter had just go & read some of the US sites for the long list of faults this filter had & still has some.

If you send Ventralis a pm ask him how his FX5 is thats if he has not smashed it lol.

If you can afford a eheim 2260 go that way you know you will not have to worry about it for years.No on board computers is the way to go IMO just a nice simple classic filter.I have Eheim classics that have been running for over 20yrs love to see the FX5 do that.

Ventralis has had Eheim classics for yrs and this was his first time with a fluval so he will give you his unbiased opinion.

Rat

I bought a FX-5 back in August last year and yesterday I checked on my 6 foot fronny tank cause the water was very stagnant. Put my hand in front of the outlet and no water flow. Checked the motor and nothing. Unplugged it and tried again...nothing. Pulled the damn thing apart and put it back together and tried again...nothing.

Not sure what is going on with it. Doesn't seem to be getting any power to it. Maybe the comp is blown. Not happy Jan. No blackouts or surges either. Just stopped dead. Just as well I had an internal filter on it as well otherwise I might have lost my colony :(

I bought it online from reefshop but I didn't keep my receipt :shock: Whats my chance of getting it fixed or replacement? Spose I have to send it to Melbourne as well.

Anyone had any similiar problems?

I got my FX5 the other day, primed first time, it has'nt missed a beat.

Very flash filter im impressed!!

Just dont bother getting one from Canberra over priced to buggery :yes:, I found one shop who sells them cheaper than $400 but you need to wait for them to order them in for you. PM for details.

Archived