Dividing a tank for use on a sump system...

Ash

Hi Guys & Gals,

I scored a damaged ancient 6x18x18 & steel stand to suit an 8x18 for free today.

It is made out of 10mm which is nice, but it is in no way good enough for a display tank so I was going to modifiy it for grow out duties.

I was thinking of making one 2x18 to breed my albino BN in, then have 4 1x18 sections for fry (both BN & cichlid) - the problem is how to divide it so that the water can flow through the length of it but not let the fry through?

For those who have done similar, how did you solve this issue & how well did it work out?

6mm glass dividers siliconed in with the water just overflowing from one chamber to the next?

Acrylic dividers siliconed in with holes drilled to let the water flow through with flyscreen over the holes?

Simple flyscreen dividers?

Looking for input peoples.

Cheers

Ash

I've never set a tank up like this, but why don't you use glass dividers that are siliconed in, but don't go all the way to the bottom.

Then get some gutter guard (the fine stuff) and silicon it in to fill the gap.

If your gap is about an inch you should get plenty of water flow, and having the gap at the bottom means you shouldn't get a build-up of crud on the base of each section.

Otherwise if you were concerned about dead spots in the water column more than you were concerned about a clean bottom (try huggies :p) then you could set up a kind of over-and-under situation still using the gap filled with gutter guard.

In addiditon to Ash's question, To make a temporary divider is there anything wrong with making up a flyscreen with the aluminium frame to slip in the tank? ie, does the aluminium have any adverse affects on the fish or water properties from anyones experience?

Cheers, milhouse.

Ash,

Have a look at the picture in my gallery of my quarantine tank. I used glass dividers in mine and used thin strips of perspex to hold the mesh in place. I put my mesh up the top due to never having done it before and being slightly impatient.

I'd definately reccomend puting the mesh at the bottom as Baz has said. To overcome the problem with deadspots I have placed small outlets in the closest section and the second section from the filter end to circulate them and then the majority of the flow goes to the last section for return through the stages.

HTH

Ben

Archived