Cool little shrimp

AlexJordan

I just paid a visit to Slippery Little Suckers and saw some little red and white (/clear) shrimp. Apparently the owner has recently imported them (hence the $60 price tag for a 1 cm shrimp!).

I'm just wondering whether anyone else has seen any other nice shrimp around, maybe that aren't quite so valuable?

$60? You've gotta be kidding me! The shrimp you're describing are called crystal red shrimp, and the last time I was there they were selling for $25 each for 1cm shrimp. They've obviously brought the price up A LOT and who knows why :confused: The only reason I can think of is because there's been so much interest in these little shrimp they thought they can double the price so they can make a nice little profit for themselves. Either that or the people they import them from are the ones who want to make the massive profit.

There's heaps of different shrimp varieties in Aus., and I know of some people who sell them I just gotta find them again lol. And if you're interested in the crystal red shrimp you can still find them for $25-$35 each you just have to look around. Otherwise, send me over a PM and I can give you those names if you'd like (once I find them that is).

No, they were more colourful, mostly red (almost looked like an anemone fish). The guy said something about them being 'A' grade, but was then corrected by someone else (I didn't even know there was a grading system to be honest).

That one looks nice though, what is the species name? Anyone selling them?

Crystal Red Shrimp do variety in price all depends on the grade. I have only seen as high as A so far in oz that's not saying they are no here in the higher grades.

SS =$$$$$$

S+ =$$$$$

S =$$$$

A =$$$

B =$$

C =$

The best I have seen at SLS is B grade and they where top dollar :shock:

I have seen them for sale from $35 to $95

IPB Image

IPB Image

Rat

They're pretty easy to breed so you'll see grading become a little more common. But as Rat said they're mainly of A and B grades at the moment, but they're generally selling young shrimp which moult more often and hence their colours aren't showing to their full potential.

Shrimps do not tend to be long lived. Many require brackish conditions to breed and they're also sensitive to pollutants and metals. Just be careful about spending your hard-earn dollars. Try setting up a shrimp tank with some cheaper variety of shrimps (around 50 cents to $1 each) first. There is a breeder up north that breeds a striped shrimp.

Cheers,

Vien.

The ones I saw are the top pic in Rat's post. I'm interested in gettting a few shrimp, so would appreciate names of anyone that I might buy some from (pm of course if open advertisement is a problem :zipit: )

The ones in the shop were happily breeding in small plastic tank without filtration - why then does the price of these things remain so high?

Both the ones in Rat's pictures are the same species (CRS), just different grades. The reason they remain fairly high in price is because they're still highly sought after by shrimp and planted tank enthusiasts who were drooling after seeing pictures of CRS on international forums, and that they were only available here recently (only last year I think). Also they're not very common at the moment and clutches of eggs only range between 10-25. Give it about a year and you'll see the price of lower grades drop but also the development of better quality grade shrimp and an increase in price tag for those particular ones.

• 5 weeks later...

SLS were not responsible for importing these shrimp.

They have a life span of 18 months to two years and take approx 6 months to mature. CRS a particularly sensitive to water quality and i have found out the hard way. =$$$$.

The first pic in rats post is an S grade. the second is SS and called HINOMARU. If you want more info try looking at malaysian aquascaping club website www.my-mac.net This is were i have been getting most of my help on breeding, sexing, and genetics to improve grades. also try shrimpnow,com from singapore.

these are great fro planted tanks, but i have mine in shrimp only tanks. there is also a black version called Bee shrimp or some times Diamond shrimp. graded same way based on solidness of colour and amount of white.

I started with C grade, and now upto A (very limited number.) some of my shrimplets are only 1mm long and already show true colour.

• 9 months later...

i hav recently bought some CHERRY shrimp(similar to the crystals, just no white on them) and hav seen babies around the tank in the last few weeks. i hav seen people wanting about 10-15dollars for this species of shrimp and i think they r well worth the money. hardy, fun to watch and colourful little shrimp with a little less price tag then the crystals :)

i hav also heard of CRYSTAL red shrimp with a price tag of $1000+ but shrimp of this grade havnt reached australia to my understanding. please correct me on this if i am wrong.

• 1 month later...

i think they are here already :thumbup:

i hav re bought some cherry shrimp(similar to the crystals, just no white on them) and hav seen babies around the tank in the last few weeks. i hav seen people wanting about 10-15dollars for this species of shrimp and i think they r well worth the money. hardy, fun to watch and colourful little shrimp with a little less price tag then the crystals :)

i hav also heard of crystal red shrimp with a price tag of $1000 but they havt reached australia yet. i do understand that the reason for the expensive price tag ibn australia is because only one company imports them(bayfish) and they hav to pay big $$$ for this because they are not actually allowed on the import list. please anyone correct me on this.

FISHKID

• 2 weeks later...

i hav also heard of CRYSTAL red shrimp with a price tag of $1000+

$1000 for a shrimp? One shrimp?

I can just imagine trying to explain that to the missus!

found an ebay seller on ebay selling them

http://stores.ebay.com.au/AquaticMagic

not sure whether their cheap or not but it is $199.99US for 15 of them including postage :clap

I would check the legality of getting them in before parting with my hard earned to an ebay seller who has "stock" spread between malaysia and the U.S.

Cheers,

Brett

My red cherries were a hell of a lot cheaper than the prices I have seen too......I have a giggle at petlink and the "rare" red cherry shrimp :lol1:

• 4 weeks later...

Yep...Cherry Shrimp sell for about $4 each now...CRS depend a bit on the quality but you can get some nice ones for around $15 a shrimp...you just need to search the various fish forums around Aus.

ALL the shrimp like this have been smuggled in at some stage...most are now bred here though so you should be ok.

Mike :)

• 1 month later...

auburn aquarium has cherry and crystal i think.. they were around 10-30 each i think....

in the tank there were breeding heaps as there were hundreds of smaller babies along with the bigger ones.

I would mine getting me a half dozen and see how it populates.

can they be kept in tanganikan water condition??? (assuming there are no other fish)

• 2 weeks later...

what about the cheery shrimps or any other 2cm shrimps (i want to create a 2footer for occie colony with shrimps). i know some (probably most!) smaller baby shrimps will probably get eaten and some baby occies will get eaten (by mum and dad! lol).

but if i have the fake garden bush which i have in my current tank (which occies can't go in as they are too big) so it will protect some of the shrimps.

so question is are there any species of shrimp that will survive in a tanganikan condition (that won't be $1000 per shrimp).

Archived