Fish ID please

Matty

Well I've just been looking through THIS article of Willy posted and by chance have come across this photo of a Cynotilapia afra ‘Jalo Reef.’

Below this picture is a picture of my fish that I have been trying to get the name of.

IPB Image

IPB Image

My fish has now developed the yellow tinge through it's dorsal fin. I'm 95% confident that I also have a C. afra ‘Jalo Reef.’ The only thing that doesn't convince me is when I Google the Jalo Reef, my fish doesn't have the black chin like the ones from Google. Could I possibly have a female?

Your opinions would be appreciated.

Personally i dont think its the same Matty, your fish has a slightly different mouth shape, a bit more downward and yours has a higher fore head shape, the other photo looks a bit flatter and a bit rounder around that part of the head. Also the colour on the anal fin of your fish seems to be a bit more red/orange. Its similar but i dont think its the same... ;)

Cheers Andy

Different fish i think. I counted different amounts of barring. I also notice a different in mouth shape and head shape. Looking more closely it appears the fish have different colours aswell. One appears to have the black lining the underside of the fish.

Different fish i think. I counted different amounts of barring. I also notice a different in mouth shape and head shape. Looking more closely it appears the fish have different colours aswell. One appears to have the black lining the underside of the fish.

I believe the two are of the same species but given a different environment the same species will look totally different, this is what i believe.

Matty's question is whether his fish is a C. afra ‘Jalo Reef.’ or something else. Are you saying that his is also a C. afra ‘Jalo Reef.’ and you breed them too?

Cheers...

YOU guys came keep bickering but its an afra and there the same.

I have breed these fish and some females look totaly different.

To me the long, striaght and pointed pelvic fins means there is a better chance its a boy.

The fish in the 2nd pic also doesnt seem to have the typical afra teeth.

The yellow in the anal fin makes me also think it is something else.

Josh

Yeap read it.

Learn a bit of forum etiquette

CHILL OUT

RELAX

OK

BREATHE

This is considered rude.

Archived