BREEDING SET-UP IN GARAGE

robdog013

HI ALL

I have one of those colour bond garages (fairly decent size u can park ur car in) and want to set up some breeding tanks in there, does anyone have any suggestions on how I can cheaply insulate my tanks or garage and control the temperature. i know the heaters will do their job in winter but in summer the garage gets pretty hot. Has anyone insulated their garage themselves and how?

cheers Rob

ps. I have two Hongi female holding at the moment woohooo

hopefully I can get her to spit after 22 days

:clap

hey mate

To keep the place cool in summer install a whirlybird midway down the pitch of the roof

and you can have shutters installed which are spring operated and controlled by a pull cord

at ground level.

To keep the place warm in winter either air con (reverse cycle) or line the shed walls with polystyrene

or some other insulate material.

good luck and hope this may have been some help to you.

Matt :lol2:

A whirly bird isnt going to do squat on a 35+ degree day, let alone a 40+.

Those colour bond sheds are just not designed to be temp stable, and not matter what you do its going to cost you a bit of money. If you want spend only a little bit of money on insulation then you will have to spend a lot more on cooling / heating via heaters and air cond to maintain that temp. And if you want to only spend the minimum on ongoing heating/cooling then you will have to spend a lot more on insulation at the start.

2 options: have a chat to some builder mates, they will know the pricing and efficiency rating of different products, secondly you could build a shed out of something different. Do a search for Andy's (Vis) fish room on this forum. He built it out of the stuff they make coolrooms with.

sheet metal + polystyrene = coolroom :lol2:

thanks guys, I have a few contacts in the meat industry, where they use that cool room stuff, i might give him a call and see if I can get some of that coolroom stuff, I was thinking of fatt batting the whole garage and gettin gyprock or ply wood to cover the walls and then I will install a whirly bird and maybe pick up a cheap airconditioner, DOES ANYONE OUTTHERE HAVE ANY BUILDING CONTACTS...

p.s. when is the next mini auction at Nuwarra, I went to one years ago.

thanks alot guys

I have found the whirlygigs to be great. They do make a big difference even on a hot day. I installed mine almost near the top of the roof though since I figured hot air rises ..... ?

I used sheets of 25mm polystyrene glued directly onto my metal shed walls and ceiling. You could go thicker but my shed is 21m x 9m x 3m so it was the best I could afford at the time. I used liquid nails and let the glue go tacky before sticking it on so it didnt need much time to stay up. You can get the polystyrene precut to size but it can be a fire hazard and cockroaches and rats will eat it. If you dont like the colour it is paintable (waterbase paint) and easily repairable if you need to rip a wall down to get a large tank in... :) :)

I was thinking of fatt batting the whole garage and gettin gyprock

Works for me but don't use gyrock use fibre-cement and water proofing undercoat paint to seal the boards. Canberra gets into high 30's low 40's most of Summer and my fishroom has a lovely flat tine roof that loves to absorb heat. Once the r4 batts and fibre-cement went up the temps drop dramtically. I don't think that my room get above 30 degrees very often anymore. The only thing that you may encounter is humidity problems so an exhast fan is a a good idea along with a way to drain the water out the tanks without having to carry heaps of buckets around.

cheers

rosco

Thanks guys for all the advice.

I will definetly do some research and fatt batt and board it up. After I finish that then I will decide on getting an air conditioner, thanks for the offer Scott (have to save my monies for insulation).

I should take some photos of the whole project and post it up aye.

cheers

everyone :thumbup:

Hi

I recently insulated a shed and thought about the batts and board. It worked out quite expensive, time consuming and batts are generally fibreglass so all the associated problems with working with it.

I came across the following newish Australian product (am in no way associated w the company):

Etherm

It comes in 30ms roll and it easily to apply no need for coverings just use screws to hold in place. It was about 300 per roll from memory, so you can easily work out how much you'll need and compare against other products. It has an r1.5 rating, and you can even paint it.

I live in the west and it gets particularly hot and over the summer my tanks never got above 28, which is an excellent result given a shed in the back yard with direct sunlight. This winter I only turned the heaters on about 3 weeks ago. The room is always at 23 at the moment. Because it comes in a continuous roll you just roll it around the room and add screws, as it is continuous you get a good seal.

HTH

Grant

Thanks Grant,

That stuff looks easy as, do you have a colour bond garage also? I am going to enquire tomorrow about pricing but geez that looks really easy to install :thumbup:

Where you are is going to make a difference, I have lived in Vic all my life and never heard of "blacktown, Vic" as your Profile states :dntknw:

Whirly birds make a huge difference in the removal of hot air in a roof space but totally useless for what you require as you need to maintain a certain temp not just remove hot air.

I would be looking at making a small separate room inside your shed and insulate that.

As for what insulation............ its like asking how long is a piece of string

You need to work out your options that suit your budget and requirements

Batts, Cool room paneling, Poly sheets, Spray insulation, are all methods I have seen used and all seem to do the job. It all boils down to working out what suits your area and skills the best :thumb

HTH

I thought you might have meant NSW :thumb

The main reason I raised that point was Location will play some part in deciding what Insulation will work the best :yes: Down here in sunny :shock: Vic im guessing we would have to have slightly thicker insulation than you guys further up north from us

BTW Just for the record I used the DIY spray insulation and it works a treat :thumb

WEBSITE LINK

Very easy product to use once you get everything up to the right temps and after seeing what Styro can do to your shed when you start cutting into sheets :lol4: the best thing I found was once you remove the drop sheet from the floor there is NO MESS :thumbup:

:) My set up is a 3.5x3.5m cool room panels inside a single brick garage. Its in a corner I have cool room panels on front one side and ceiling the back and other side have batts with ply over top. Its working well atm even though the Door (also cool room panel) is not seald yet.

I will get photo's soon.

Todd

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

i know this post is a little ol but I thought that everyone in the sydnety should know about a lil place called "reverse garbage" on addison st petersham. I resnetly bought a roll of bubble wrap/silver insulation huge for only 40 dollars this retails for about 200 dollars. ALSO if any of you out there want to insulate your tanks they sell stryrofoam really huge sheest for 5 dolars, you can never get these prices paying retail at other shops.

Cheers guys.. I have decided to insukate my entire garage with styrofoam and then line the walls with this silver/bubble wrap insulation.

again Thanks to everyone for their invaluable contribution to this post.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Archived