albino B/N dying

conure3

My last batch off albino b/n fry,just slowly died .I would come out and see a couple dead on the bottom off the tank every day and nite,as soon as they finished there egg sack i would see them slowly turnning white and be dead with in a few days. I feed them everything i could get hands on vegies, flake, alge,I thought was starving them Thats why i pumped the food into them. some advise would not go astray.

i had the same problem with my first batch of commons so i put in some zuccini and they've all survived they have an enormous appetite and zucini seems to be the go giv it atry . i just soak muine in boiling water for 5 mins then attach it to a rock with an elastic band to keep it on the bottom.

good luck

JD

i had the same problem with my first batch of commons so i put in some zuccini and they've all survived they have an enormous appetite and zucini seems to be the go giv it atry . i just soak muine in boiling water for 5 mins then attach it to a rock with an elastic band to keep it on the bottom.

good luck

JD

Thanks 4 the tip i can breed commons by the tank full, this was my third batch off fry from theres ones.

Sounds like they need some gut bacteria from parents/adults. Either leave some adults in the grow out tank with them or siphon in some fresh poo from adults. Its the bacteria byproducts which they actually feed off. The food you give is really for the bacteria so without any benificial bacteria they are eating but still starving to death.

I have had the same thing happen with clutches of Albinos - but never with commons. And mine are always raised in tanks with parents and older fry. I wouldn't be suprised if this is something that we will soon have a name for and is related to the small gene pool that Australian albinos are derived from - similar to SCID in Arabian horses.

Sounds like they need some gut bacteria from parents/adults. Either leave some adults in the grow out tank with them or siphon in some fresh poo from adults. Its the bacteria byproducts which they actually feed off. The food you give is really for the bacteria so without any benificial bacteria they are eating but still starving to death.

They where still in tank with mum and dad.I made it a point with all my caties 2 leave them in the same tank untill they are ready 2 sell.

I have had the same thing happen with clutches of Albinos - but never with commons. And mine are always raised in tanks with parents and older fry. I wouldn't be suprised if this is something that we will soon have a name for and is related to the small gene pool that Australian albinos are derived from - similar to SCID in Arabian horses.

Thanks 4 that wee info.I have named that tank Death Tank. I am going 2 worm mum and dad out and start up a fresh tank and see what goes on from there.Please dont be 2 shy 2 post any ideas on what i can do 2 over come this problem i am having

I am afraid I can't help you mate. As mentioned I have never had this problem with common bns, only the albinos. All you can do is keep the food and small water changes up. Worming is a good idea.

That is about all I can suggest...

I am afraid I can't help you mate. As mentioned I have never had this problem with common bns, only the albinos. All you can do is keep the food and small water changes up. Worming is a good idea.

That is about all I can suggest...

still heart brocken but it wont set me back 2 much ,Will battle on.

G'day

Try and minimise water changes on the fish.

Young bristlies are particularly sensitive to water quality and water changes.

Feed them well and remove everything that does not get eaten. Also make sure they have some driftwood available for them to nibble on.

hth

cya Matthew

G'day

Try and minimise water changes on the fish.

Young bristlies are particularly sensitive to water quality and water changes.

Feed them well and remove everything that does not get eaten. Also make sure they have some driftwood available for them to nibble on.

hth

cya Matthew

Thanks matt, my calico's and long fin's are all powering on,Just this little set back with there albino right now.But i thing i am on top off it i hope, the problem only started with this pair off albino's they only had small batches off fry every time . I still have three more pairs knocking fry out all the time i will see if the worming does anything 4 them and go from there thanx

Archived