how to sink a log

ajk

That log ain't right. biggrin.gif

Usually waterlogging happens more quickly than one year.

I think it may have an air-pocket inside that maybe sealed with sap from the tree. Maybe an old insect burrow or other anomaly. Looks like you may need to weight it down permanently.

Cheers - OziOscar.

Some logs are very resistant to water logging, I have a log that I got form stockton beach, it has been in my tank for going on three years now, and it still wont sink. I can guarantee that there are no air pockets inside it, as you can see all the way up the middle, and at the moment, it is just slightly more than neutrally bouyant, so it wont sit on the bottom without help.

On another piece of wood that I wanted to sink straight away, I just hacked out a bit of a hole underneath it, and siliconed a bit of rock to it... instant sinkage.

• 2 weeks later...

Cheat's method: Bore big holes in the underside of it, melt some tyre weights or fishing sinkers on the stove (slowly!! check some other reference for metling techniques and safety notes - the gas produced on smelting IS not healthful) and pour the resulting molten lead / antimony into the holes. It would hold Jacques Costeau on the bottom.

Cheers - OziOscar.

• 4 weeks later...

It depends with what kind of driftwood, What I read some time ago was once a driftwood has become waterlogged, it will never be waterlogged again. Dont quote me on it though, Im sure I got my answer from google a while back searching to treat tannings.

Archived