Substrates

grungefreek

Hi Guys,

well you read alot on the american planted forums about all the different substartes open to them to use. Here in Australia it seems that we are a alot more limited in our choices. I know we can get flourite down here, but its very $$$$. What i was wanting to know is what other substrates people have been using and their different successes. Id really luv to know if any one has done the kitty litter experiment. Heaps of people do it in America and swear by it, but so far i have found no australian that has tried it :) . Also if anyone knows any good online venders to buy the differnt substrates you guys suggest, that would also be good. I wanted to find some laterite somewhere, but so far havent found anywhere that sells it.

Ok thanx Guys

Grungie

Hi Grungie,

IMO a good substrate can help but not without decent lighting and adequate levels of CO2. In addition I've used laterite in substrates (as well as some earth/litter types) as experiments and the plants do quite well, but anytime you want to transplant anything it becomes a cloudy mess!

You can get very good growth from a plain ol fine gravel (1-2mm) substrate. Use Manutec Plant sticks in the roots of root nutrient hungry plants like swords if the substrate is new - and eventually the mulm and stuff in the substrate will build up and you will be fine. Pay attention to the lighting and CO2, then the nutrients if you are short of those, and those are a much easier (and neater) payoff IMO... :)

Hi,

I have tried a number of different substrates.I've found that laterite covered in fine river sand works well. I also use garnet sand. Some people suggest that because of its (garnet sand) density, it crushes the roots or doesn't allow sufficient penetration/movement for the roots. I haven't found this to be the case.

I agree that an excellent light source is a must. As for CO2 units - they definately help, however if something goes wrong you run the risk of killing your fish (seen this happen).

Make sure that you don't have bristlenoses, plecos etc in the tank. I use otocinclus cats and they do a good jod without tearing the vegetation.

Also remember that different plants have different light, temperature, nutrient, water depth, hardness, pH etc. requirements so some research could prove helpful.

Hope this helps!

merjo :(

I personally like laterite and gravel; laterite for the Fe especially, and gravel for slow water flow through the substrate, as I feel sand compacts too much. Personally I wouldn't use kitty litter; too many unknowns. There has also been a suggestion to use peat underlayer with the laterite for acidity (boosts Fe release) and CO2 production for a year.

You can get Duplarit in Sydney from Campbelltown Aquarium, Lams in Parramatta, Auburn Aquarium and Aquapets in Bondi Junction (that I know of, but best to call first for supply). Or you can mail order on-line from www.aquaria.com.au in WA. I've dealt with all of them, and haven't had any problems.

Archived