Freshwater Sole

Cuong

I got two of these recently and I thought I'd share some pictures of these wierd little things. I think I might grab some more next time they're available, because they are very fascinating to watch.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Cheers,

Cuong

Have you had any trouble getting it to eat? I had a marine flounder once and I had a terrible time getting it to eat. It would only eat live shrimp so I'd be making trips every few days down to Lake Macquarie to catch shrimp for it. I had caught it in the lake and it was great to keep but a pain to feed. Mine was wild caught but I'd guess the freshwater sole would be too huh? I'd like to try some of the native freshwater sole though. Gunther Schmida has some photographed in his book Cold Blooded Australians and they look really nice.

From the TFH magazine article that Tunnel Rat gave me, these guys max out at around 10cm. Feeding them is just a matter of waiting until the lights go out and putting in some bloodworms, although one of them is eating more than the other. I would love to extend my FW sole collection, although I hear the Australian ones get around dinner plate size?

Archived